BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Sentimental 1st birthday gifts

I'm also looking for a keepsake type gift for my son for his first birthday. I know many girl mamas give jewelry boxes, or start an add- a-bead necklace and I would like to have something special like that to give my boy.
    I've considered a set of coins, or baseball cards but neither of those seem quite right.
    Any ideas?

Default RE: Sentimental 1st birthday gifts

For our DS's first birthday, I made him a waldorf doll in his likeness... he didn't really spend much time with it until more recently, and it's much more appreciated now. I plan on doing the same thing for any and all future children- it was easy enough to do, and so cool to have such a priceless doll. I got the stuff from Joy's waldorf doll site, and now since i have the patterns, all i need are the materials for future dolls... He calls him "buddy" and BUddy has to do so much with him, now!!
    :) It makes me happy to have made something that DS treasures!!!

Holly~Attached mama to Aiden, my happy Pirate & Lillian, my spirited Mermaid fairy
    Cancer survivor!!!! No Evidence of Disease, now and forever!!!

My sister in law made an "ABC" book for my son that we love. It features pictures of him and all our family members. She came up with something cute for each letter, like someone's name or a something we did. A great keepsake for his first year. She made it on Apple.com I think but you can do them on Shutterfly or any of the photo sites.
    Marie
    Mommy to Ty, 3 and Natalie, 1

shilo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

ok, super corny, but i went to a friends wedding a few years ago and his mother wrapped up his boyhood copy of "love you forever" to give to him at the rehearsal dinner. she had written the inscription for his fifth or sixth birthday i think, but you could just as easily do 1st. i think everyone was weeping when she re-read the inscription she had written on the inside cover all those years ago - i think it was partly so emotional too, because they had just found out they were expecting their first child a week before.

lori
    Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

jhaud Guest

this wouldn't work for an add on gift, but i love these blocks for special occassions. i have one for dd's birth and baptism.

http://www.craftefamily.com/blocks.asp

jhaud Guest

this wouldn't work for an add on gift, but i love these blocks for special occassions. i have one for dd's birth and baptism.

http://www.craftefamily.com/blocks.asp

also instead of a jewelry box for a girl, you could do a treasure box. (i have seen many different variations, mostly wood with name on top-woodburning, engraved, painted) if you like this idea you could look for a local artist (or someone online) that would work with you on details.

kharden Guest

For something to be sentimental it has to have a special meaning for the giver and/or the receiver. What is something that is important to you and/or your husband? Did your husband collect anything? Something like a high quality train that could be given 1 piece per year would be nice. A colletion of the baby's favorite things over the course of the first year put into a time capsule would be special (first book, pacifier, blankie, coming home outfit, etc). Do you have any items that have been passed down through the family (a grandfather's momento perhaps)?

These are just a few ideas but I'm sure once you really analyze what you find important and significant in your lives, that special gift may be more obvious than you ever imagined. Good luck!

Stacie

I've done treasure boxes for customers with sons. I also think the idea of a Waldorf doll is lovely - though I wouldn't be able to make one myself, as I can't sew to save my life. ;)

I also agree that a beautiful wooden train with a piece added every year would be nice.

I have daughters, and we've done jewelry as first birthday gifts, but another possibility is what we do annually for Christmas. I've started a collection of Steiff animals for each child, and they get one every year. They're beautiful (albeit expensive), and I figure when the girls are adults they will either have nice collections to pass on to their kids or to sell on eBay (I hope not, of course). :)