Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Playsilks....Where do you buy them?

I have read about playsilks for a while on this board and it seems that DD might be ready for them now. Plus it sounds like something fun for me too! :)

Thanks for advice.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Playsilks....Where do you buy them?

My DD's is from http://www.bumbershootbaby.com and is very popular with her!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

~ Oops! Posted twice! ~
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second bumbershootbaby.com We LOVE our play silks from there (and love to support a BBB mama!). I bought a rainbow in size 36inches and they have been great. I bought them when DD was tiny (cause I was buying 2 other sets as gifts so I figured I mayaswell get some for DD :)) But we have played peekaboo with them for months. DD is 12 months now and she sometimes just likes to have me lay them out on the floor for her to roll around in and throw up in the air. I can see us getting a ton of use out of these over the next few years.

On a side note, I used them at first to really push the peekaboo thing with DD because I wanted to teach her how to pull any kind of fabric off her face. It was the new mommy in me being paranoid but it worked and she now happily throws anything off from her head - including hats! ;)

holliam Guest

We have had so much fun making our own. We've even had a couple of playsilk dyeing parties for our playgroup at our house.

You can buy blank white playsilks for cheap at http://www.thaisilks.com and use Kool-aid to dye them. You won't get really bright vibrant colors, but you get really pretty pastels.

We really enjoyed making them!

Holli

can you be more specific on using Kool-aid. This sounds like a great summertime activity!

Mary
    dd#1 2/01
    dd#2 12/03

BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Okay these are so affordable. Certainly I can buy some dye and make my own silks.

Does anyone have good recommendations for how to dye the silks?

I like the kool aid idea. ...... but are there any others.

Also, please please share the kool aid dye recipe.

Thanks so much

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just ordered some from Dancing With Fireflies, a WAHM --
    http://www.dancingwithfireflies.com/...20Play%20Silks

I liked the color selection and the prices are good. The owner was also very helpful and quick with responding to emails. They should be arriving any day now, so I can post more when I receive them if you want.

Traci
    ~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
    Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

holliam Guest

I don't have any links here but do a google search for "koolaid dyeing" and silk or wool.

Here is what we do. Soak playsilks in water/vinegar. Add koolaid mix and water (with a small glug of vinegar) to containers...how many packets depends on the container size and number of playsilks. Soak the playsilks, twist them, put rubber bands on them, whatever like tie dyeing or crunch them up. Dip different parts in different colors or use the same color.

Wrap dyed playsilk in plastic wrap. When you have a few, put them into a glass container and microwave until the water runs clear (no more dye leaking..it's pretty obvious. My DH is in charge of this step and I think he does 1-2 min intervals to check).

After they are done microwaving, they are REALLY hot. Let cool. Some people rinse again with vinegar, etc., hang to dry, but we usually just iron them at this point. It dries them and makes them very flowy.

You can use other dyes but it's far too sophisticated for me. I wouldn't let children participate if using procion or other dyes that allow for the deep, bright colors. So, you'll have to choose between more complicated adult activity or less bright and child-safe activity. The playsilks are safe to play with regardless of the type of dye.

Other tips.. your hands will stain from the koolaid; it dyes any animal protein, including you. A castille-based soap works great for removing the dye.

Avoid grape koolaid. It makes an absolutely awful brownish color. If you have any Canadian connections, their grape uses a different formula and yields brilliant purple. I had a friend in Canada send me some. :)

I'd love to share the pics of our parties, but it's my friends' kids so I really can't share without all their permission.

Holli

BaileyBea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks so much! This is excellent. I am going to try it soon. I wanted to give my neighbor's DD some of these for her birthday. I just didn't want to pay $50 for a set.

Big Thank You!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast