Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cleaning a very old cabbage patch doll?

My great-great-aunt gave DD a cabbage patch doll from 1985 that's been sitting in her attic. The box obviously got wet at some point, and there was no visible mold or anything but the doll smells like...well...like it's been sitting in an attic for 21 years. I think she intended for us to keep it as a collector's item, but given that a) it's missing the adoption papers, b) the box was trashed, c) it's not currently worth anything on ebay (because of the aforementioned reasons), and d) DD seems to really want to play with it ("Carrie hold baby doll? Please, Mommy?"), I've decided that it's going to get all the love and attention it should have gotten 21 years ago!

The tag said surface wash only, so I stripped it, scrubbed it with hand soap, and then scrubbed it down with just a wet washcloth. It's not dry yet but it mainly smells like soap now. Assuming it still smells fine when it's dry, is that good enough? Is there anything else I can/should do before letting DD play with it? I'm assuming if there was actually mold anywhere I would see evidence of it on the outside of the body, right?

I washed the clothes, but I was thinking I might see if one of DD's 0-3 month dresses fits it instead. I do need to replace the diaper - when I tried to remove it the tabs ripped the diaper apart - but I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the baby doll aisle at Target. Any other tips about cabbage patch dolls? (I had one as a kid, but I have no idea where she went. Her name was Cora Ivy, though, I do remember that for some reason!)

Thanks!
    Sarah :)
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

dylansnan Guest

Default RE: Cleaning a very old cabbage patch doll?

I loved my Cabbage Patch kid doll- I think it is still in box somewhere in my parents house ;-)

I am not sure about the cleaning- she probably just smells musty and isn't actually moldy anywhere.

I wanted to reccomend getting a pack of regular preemie diapers though- instead of the play ones. The play ones (from Target at least, have the "old-style" plastic and tape closures so they are not very reusable. I know "my girls" like to dress/undress their babies 100 times a day- so the velcro like/ cloth closures on the real diapers work much better.

HTH!

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can google "removing musty odors" and get a bunch of ideas but they all boil down to enclosing the doll in a plastic bag or box with a dish of something like the following- vinegar, kitty litter, charcol briquets, baking soda or coffee beans. Let it sit overnight (or several days if necessary) and see how that works. I don't know if it would work in this situation but I do know "they" recommend removing smoke odors from a room by setting out a dish of ammonia overnight, so that might also be something to consider. But that would probably be my last ditch effort. Hopefully though, you won't have any problems after the bath you gave it.

I don't know that the 0-3 months clothes would fit the doll considering one of my friends brought her premmie twins home in Cabbage Patch Kid clothes she picked up for them. I have seen the clothes for sale at Target and TRU.

I hope your daughter loves her new friend.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Thanks for the tip on the preemie diapers! I was considering just making a cloth doll diaper with velcro tabs instead of buying the plastic ones, but seeing as I already have a stack of unfinished projects next to my sewing machine, the preemie diapers might be a better idea! Right now she's going commando. ;)

Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

The bath seems to have worked for the most part. The yarn hair still has a slight musty odor, but nothing too offensive. If that doesn't air out on its own in a couple of days I'll try the baking soda trick. (I have no idea why I didn't think to google this last night!)

I found a 3 month shirt of Carrie's that is a bit long and gathered slightly at the waist - it fits like a dress on the doll. So any other 0-3 month outfits would definitely be much too huge. But the shirt is cute, and it works with the doll's hair ribbons, socks and shoes. Now she just needs a diaper and/or some bloomers.

Thanks for the ideas!
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

If it still smells-I would just wash it. I wash everything in my washer, it is one of the Calypso models without an agitator and I haven't ruined anything yet! I even washed my wedding dress and it turned out just fine. Maybe you could put it in a pillow case or mesh bag with a load of sheets or towels but I would go for it.

I have washed Allie's dolls and stuffed animals and so far everything has turned out just fine and I dry them on low too.

Just a thought but at least you would know it was truely fresh and clean.

Lisa
    Mom to Allie Nicole
    3-10-03

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Timely post. Mum just sent me one of our cabbage dolls and some of the clothes she made for it nearly 20 yrs ago. She kept one doll and 1/2 the clothes for her house for when we visit. It was kept on a shelf in my sister's room, but it could do with a good clean. So far, DS enjoys undressing the doll, after I have dressed her. I like that DS is playing with something that I had as a child.

Nicci