My great-great-aunt gave DD a cabbage patch doll from 1985 that's been sitting in her attic. The box obviously got wet at some point, and there was no visible mold or anything but the doll smells like...well...like it's been sitting in an attic for 21 years. I think she intended for us to keep it as a collector's item, but given that a) it's missing the adoption papers, b) the box was trashed, c) it's not currently worth anything on ebay (because of the aforementioned reasons), and d) DD seems to really want to play with it ("Carrie hold baby doll? Please, Mommy?"), I've decided that it's going to get all the love and attention it should have gotten 21 years ago!

The tag said surface wash only, so I stripped it, scrubbed it with hand soap, and then scrubbed it down with just a wet washcloth. It's not dry yet but it mainly smells like soap now. Assuming it still smells fine when it's dry, is that good enough? Is there anything else I can/should do before letting DD play with it? I'm assuming if there was actually mold anywhere I would see evidence of it on the outside of the body, right?

I washed the clothes, but I was thinking I might see if one of DD's 0-3 month dresses fits it instead. I do need to replace the diaper - when I tried to remove it the tabs ripped the diaper apart - but I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the baby doll aisle at Target. Any other tips about cabbage patch dolls? (I had one as a kid, but I have no idea where she went. Her name was Cora Ivy, though, I do remember that for some reason!)

Thanks!
Sarah :)