maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default favorite potty seat?

I'm looking for a potty seat that goes on top of the regular toliet. I've seen several different brands and I'm just wondering if there's any particular advantage to any one of them. There are some that seem to differ only in the licensed characters (Dora, Sesame Street,), and some that have handles on the sides. Do some accommodate little bums more securely than others? DD is almost 18 months and I just wanted to start putting her on the seat every morning after breakfast and see what happens. She's on the small side. I don't want to get a portable potty because we don't really have the space, and I figure if she's sitting up higher she'll be less likely to just get up in the middle of a deed, assuming she does go. I have access to Target, Walmart, and BRU. TIA!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Default RE: favorite potty seat?

Melinda-
    I bought the Baby Bjorn potty insert after reading reviews here. I think it was Julie (JoolsPlus2) who said she had spent money on so many cheap ones that slid all around and wish she had just spent the $30 first on the Bjorn one (sorry for the misquote, Julie). If you go looking, $30 will seem like a lot to spend once you see that there are several others for $10-20, so I was glad I was prepared for the sticker shock. Bought it and have no complaints. It does not slip at all. Got a cheap step stool at IKEA.

Beginning at 12-18 mos, however, we put J on the little Bjorn chair ($10) and it was a great size for her. She still uses it at 2.5, though it is tiny. The nice thing about a separate chair is that she would sit on it while I used the regular potty, so she was able to learn by imitation a bit.

It is nice though, for the reasons you mentioned, to teach them to use the big potty early.
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I second the recommendation for the Bjorn seat that Marisa mentioned. And if you get the BRU flyers, keep an eye out for one of their $5 off any purchase of $25 or more coupons.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yeah, I've already seen the seats that go from $10-20. And yes, $30 seems like a lot more. But of course paying that once would be better than paying $10 several times and being stuck with unwanted seats!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have the Baby Bjorn seat that goes on top of the regular toilet, and we like it a lot. It seems to fit all our toilet seats well. We also have the Dora seat (from Target) that goes on top, but it doesn't seem to fit the elongated shaped toilet seat as well. I recommend the Baby Bjorn one.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I didn't buy it yet but I am going to try:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000CNMUQC

I like that it can stand up on the little feet when not in use. I think the ones that have loops for hanging (like the Bjorn) would also be good for a small space.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

Drugstore.com has the Bjorn Trainer on sale right now for $24 (free ship on $25+ for new customers, go through Fat Wallet for added rebate).

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp72825_33...et_trainer.htm

Cool deal! Just realized that ebates also has a 6% rebate for drugstore.com.
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

spunkybaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

At first, we bought the flip-n-flush from One Step Ahead (http://tinyurl.com/2kuug2). It attaches to a regular toilet between the cover and the seat. I liked that it was easy to flip down when needed and that I didn't have to store it somewhere. But when the flip-n-flush is up, it can be a little uncomfortable when using the regular toilet seat if you need to lean back.

So we ended up buying something similar but better at Target. We replaced the entire toilet seat and the potty seat fits smoothly into the toilet lid. It's easy to use and cost about $20. It looks like this one http://tinyurl.com/3xgqe9, but I don't think ours is a "potty pal" brand. We like it a lot, and other parents that come to our house have asked us where we got it.

Mom to a spunky toddler (3/04) and a new spunky Christmas baby (12/06)

DD has always been on the small side as well (21 lbs. at 20 months). We have and are happy with both the Baby Bjorn Little Potty (the small one, $10) and the Baby Bjorn Toilet Trainer/Insert ($30). DD started using the Little Potty when she was 7-month-old and moved onto the Toilet Trainer/Insert when she was 9 months old. So I don't think your DD's size would be of a concern at her age for the toilet insert. It's pricier than other brands but it was worth it. It's sturdy, stable, contoured, made of quality plastic. DD actually looks comfortable sitting on it as opposed to some of the other ones she used when we go to my friends' house.
    - K

DD '05, DS '07