Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    spanannie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default How do you organize your Hot Wheels?

DS has at least 100. Right now they are all thrown into a clear plastic box, but that means he has to dump them out if he's looking for something. Anyone have some great ideas on how to store them in an organized fashion? He has to be able to easily access them everyday.

Thanks!
    Annie ~
    Mom three Junebugs: 9, 7 and 3

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: How do you organize your Hot Wheels?

When we only had that many (I'd hate to count 'em now but we're a car family through and through, so it's destiny to have a ton) I had the over the door sleeve (from WalMart) that held 50 or 100 cars. it was a pain to put them in only to have DS constantly take them in/out. I finally trashed it and resorted to a bucket.

This weekend we're working on organzing and sorting in Lexman boxes from iKea. One is for lego's; one for trains; one for airplanes; one for cars. Except...i was putting cars in the cars box and DS exclaimed: "Those are my car show cars!" So...some of his cars apparently are "regular" cars and some are "car show" cars.

Since your DS plays with them so much i'd just leave them in a box!

Laura
    Mom to Will

http://b4.lilypie.com/BhyBm5.png

We (I) struggled with this a while back and thought about using one of those Hot Wheels big tire car carriers. DS received one as a gift but to be honest - I didn't care for the look and it weighed a TON once filled. It also didn't let him see the cars well.

So, this probably doesn't really answer your question but we've ended up using these wooden boxes that our wooden food (from Target) came in. They are about 8 x 12 and are wooden trays. Since they are like trays, they let DS line up his cars so he can see them. Like the pp's son, he also organizes his "race cars" into one box, the hotwheels into another, etc.

We also have around 100 matchbox/hotwheels and they fit into about four of the boxes. If you are "needing" some wooden food, maybe this would help!

Maryann
    Mommy to Ean & Mia!

P.S. Isn't it amazing that they can have 100 cars, and need to find that certain "one?" :)

I found an over the door Hot Wheels brand organizer at Target. I hung it on DS's bedroom door and he loves it. Most cars (even the larger ones like the characters from "Cars" will fit in it). I put the ones he doesn't play with much on top and his favorites close to the bottom. He has a little step stool (one step) that he uses upstairs and steps on it to reach some of the higher ones. It has worked out really well.

ETA to add photo link

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...aL._SS260_.jpg

TRU has a suitcase (Target has one as well). He was given one as a gift but it broke right away. :( He loved it though because it was a rolling case and he was able to take it with him when we traveled.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

We have the Hot Wheels suitcase and it works well. It doesn't look too bad and the accessability and portability is nice.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In big metal buckets, and they do get dumped out and refilled constantly!
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have ours in a plastic tub. They get dumped out daily.

We had one of those Hot Wheels suitcases but I found it too time consuming to clean up and put each car in its own slot at the end of the day.

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

spanannie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sounds like our storage method is popular ;-)

The suitcases never worked for us (we'd have to have 20 of them) and our doors are too tall for the over the door thing.

Someone needs to invent something clever.
    Annie ~
    Mom three Junebugs: 9, 7 and 3

I am not a regular poster, but have been reading here quite a bit lately. DH is an avid Hot Wheels collector. His cars never come out of the packages, so he was horrified when we were keeping DS's HW in a plastic bin.

He found these clear plastic carrying cases at Walmart that work perfectly for HW and are really cheap. They are 2 sided and each side holds about 24 cars. He says you can often find them by the HW or sometimes by the tackle in the sporting goods area. I believe they were around $5 ea.

One of them still has the price sticker on it and the sku# is 531500 if that helps anyone.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a carry case and several plastic bins. I wish we had a cool method, but as the collection has grown in number and different sizes of cars, we are stumped, too.

-Ceepa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast