Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Is it really that bad to have child's name on backpack?

I am dying to buy one of the PBK backpacks for Julia- mostly to take while on roadtrips or overnights at Grandma's house. For safety reasons, is it still considered a no-no to have her name on it?

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6/02
    and Bella 12/04
    "http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Is it really that bad to have child's name on backpack?

I did it for my DS's school backpack, but he can't exit the preschool without a parent, and we don't use it for other purposes.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

I've gone back and forth on this issue. Having a child's name on his/her backpack (ir other clearly visible item) could be a hazard b/c it allows child predators to have sort of an "in"- they can establish familiarity and rapport faster with a child when they know the child's name.

However, IMO, at my children's age, I still walk them all the way to their classroom at preschool and I pick them up at the classroom door when school is over. They don't have their names on their backpacks, but even if they did they aren't ever out of my sight anyway. If someone wanted to get to them, they'd have to have more than a name. I would be much more concerned if they were older and more independent and might be away from me while wearing their backpacks.

I do think that in this day and age you can never be too careful...

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We did not put my DC's name on the backpack. Instead, the name is inside and we chose some great "keychains" to clip to the outside to make it unique, fun and easy to distinguish. For pack that don't have places to clip things (such as the music school pack which is the same for every child in the class), I tied beads to the zipper.

I'm too paranoid for names.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I like these ideas.

I would not feel comfortable having ds' name on his backpack.

Beth

kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How about their monogram instead?

Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is also what I plan to do. I have one backpack that has Emma's name on it & since then I have decided not to do that anymore. I mean, maybe when they're older & understand about "stranger danger" but just the chance, however small it may be, of her going with someone or trusting someone because they knew her name absolutely terrifies me.

However, if it's a situation like the PP's said....you pick her up, she can't leave w/o a parent, etc....then I'd feel more comfortable with it. :)
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

Ds's backpack has his initials on it. It has actually been quite helpful lately as a girl at camp has the same backpack, but she doesn't have her name or monogram on it. Nor does she have a black streak of tar across the front either. ;)
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would err on the side of caution and not include the name. You can always monogram it with her initials as others have said, or you can personalize it with keychains, etc. on the zipper pulls like another poster said. My kindergartener loves to put beading work she has done on hers, as well as put keychains she's received in goody bags from birthday parties.

We were just informed today by the police that a level 3 sex offender has moved into our town and they have cautioned all families to be careful with their children at a certain ball park/playing field which is within walking distance of the sex offender's home. Apparently he also works right next to the home of my DD's best friend. This is the first time a level 3 offender has declared an address in our town. All this has brought home to me the idea that we really can't be too careful.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

I like the idea of the initials! When I got DS's backpack last year, I agonized over this issue, and finally decided against having his name on it - in English. I did have it embroidered in another language (different alphabet, but one he's learning), but even then, only because it was really a little kid backpack and because he would only be using it when he was in the school building or accompanied by a parent. Once he's past that stage, I don't think I would feel comfortable putting his name on stuff anymore.

Which is funny, when I think of all those shirts that I had as a kid with my name in fuzzy letters on the back or the sleeve...
    Sandra
    DS '03, DD '05, DS '08, DS '10, DD '13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast