Thread: RA or Marathon?

KarynB Guest

Default RA or Marathon?

I just got a Britax MA seat. I originally wanted the RA w/ LATCH but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm confused as to weather the MA is the right seat for us. My dd will have to be rear facing. She is 15 pounds, 4 months old.

On average, how old is a child when they hit 40 lbs (on average)? If I think my dd will hit the weight limit of a RA quickly, than I'll just stick with the MA. Also, in the MA, between the base and the seat itself, my dd will be sitting high up. Is that safe? I would think the lower to the actual seat of the car, the safer. Rearfacing, it seems the MA will be very tight in our car (Toyota Sienna).

Also, after a child is 40 lbs, do they then go into a booster or do they need another big carseat?

Sorry for all the basic questions...I'm a new mom and am clueless on carseats.

I'm thinking I wanted something a little smaller and streamlined for my dd which is why I wanted the RA. I'm just not sure what to do. Any insight is appreciated.

tobymc Guest

Default RE: RA or Marathon?

Well, in general, I think the MA is perfect for you.

Your daughter can rear face until she hits the weight or height maximum for her seat. For both the MA and RA, that is now 33 pounds. But the height limit is when her head gets within an inch of the top of the shell. The MA is enough taller that she should make it close to the weight limit, and to age 2 or so. And since rear facing travel is so very much safer, this is excellent. And since she is not a newborn, she does not need the full 45 degree recline angle. More upright is actually safer, as long as her airway is preserved (newborns tend to have floppy heads). So that may help when getting this seat installed rear facing in the Sienna.

Forward facing, this seat should hold her until she is at least 5, when she'll be ready for a regular booster seat with the lap/shoulder belt. The RA might work that long, but many kids hit that 40 pound mark between 3 and 4 years old. I think that most kids will fit the MA to at least 5, and many longer.

Both seats sit up pretty high, actually at a very similar height.

The MA IS taller and wider, so you are right that the RA is smaller. But not that much.

So the RA would do you too, but the trade off of the extra time rear facing and then forward facing is very nice in the MA.

KarynB Guest

OK- Thanks Toby- I feel better about keeping the Marathon. Thanks so much for helping me sort through this. Again, I'll let you know how it goes with installation. We are taking a 12 hour road trip so that will be a good test!

Thanks again!
    Karyn

tilly2321 Guest

Karyn,
    Where did you get your marathon? I am searching crazy for one in NJ and can't find one? Please help!
    Thanks!
    Elle

Jaybird Guest

Yes, I need a Marathon too! Where did you find it?

Sarah

tilly2321 Guest

I found the Marathon through a friend at a store called Tiny totland. It is located in NH, but they are willing to ship. Their phone number is: 603-623-6171. The shipping cost is $20, but I was desperate and was running up my phone bill by calling places every day to see if the seat was in and driving myself crazy in the process. If you order today, the seat is 239.99 plus shipping, but they will mail it out on Monday via UPS. The seats are showing up other places, but I couldn't wait anymore, as my DS is busting out of his seat already. Good Luck!
    Elle

davidy Guest

Thanks Elle! I've been waiting for them to arrive and have calling around on a regular basis (BRU says the local warehouse hasn't received them yet and the other stores expect them next month). My litle guy is right at the 1" limit so I was starting to worry. I called the NH store and they quoted me the same price but shipping was $30 to OH. I'll be calling on Monday for the tracking #.
    -David

KarynB Guest

I got the Marathon from Babies R Us. I just lucked out and they happened to have one left at a store 30 minutes away. They held it for me but by the time I got there, some other woman's name was on the box! Luckily the manager gave it to me anyways. I paid $249, I think plus tax. Toby said that BRU can order them if you put 20% down.

I love the carseat! I wasn't sure if it would work for us but it is great. The installation went well and the seat is solid! There is no moving or wiggling it at all. I hope you can find one... you will not be disappointed.

Good luck all!
    Karyn