Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    flagger Guest

Default Where to go to look for recall info on Evenflo car seat

My wife picked up an infant car seat at a garage sale four months ago.

It is an Evenflo On My Way Model #206213P2 Mfr. date 11-22-94.

Thanks

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Where to go to look for recall info on Evenflo car seat

Just so you know, it is not reccomended to use any carseat that is more that 6 years old. I'm pretty sure that almost all infant carseats from that time period have since been recalled for various reasons. New infant seats are not that expensive (Target has a Graco Snugride for $59). See if you can get friends or family to buy you a seat as a baby gift and then you won't even have to worry about it. Good luck!
    -Lauren

flagger Guest

Would I be insane to check out Ebay for one?

Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2987

gour0 Guest

If it says new in box, and the seller has a good rating, I would think this is a safe bet. If you have any doubts, you can email the seller and ask questions. Like, why was this never used or something...

Hi!

Thanks for using our message boards.

Info on recalls both past and present are on the Consumer Product Safety Commission's web site at www.cpsc.gov. Evenlfo should also have that info on their web site.

Hope that helps,

alan and denise fields
    authors, BABY BARGAINS

flagger Guest

Thanks. I finally figured out the evenflo website and this particular model was not recalled. We have a few more months to decide. Just hate to invest big $$$ in something that will only be used for a few months at most. Have no problem finding one used.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would be concerned buying used because you can't know the history of a seat. A seat that has been in a traffic accident should be replaced. If you buy one used you just can't know. It's different if you use one that a family member or friend loans you and you can trust that the seat has not been in an accident.

Unfortunately, many people are not aware of this and continue to use or sell seats that should be destroyed. A better way to save money would be to borrow one or to just buy a convertible seat to start with.

If you buy on Ebay, like someone else said, I would only buy a new in box seat.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

cara1 Guest

I agree, buying something this important used makes me nervous. They're not that expensive new. If you want, you can get a convertible car seat so that you only have to purchase one seat, but most of us wouldn't recommend that (more for convenience reasons than safety ones).

mamahill Guest

Just a sidenote - you never know how long you'll use the seat. I thought for sure Ainsleigh would grow out of her seat after a few months (I was a big baby, and expected a tubby kid). But she was born small and has continued to grow slowly. As it is, she has finally outgrown (height-wise) her Graco SnugRide at 9 1/2 months. We got WAY more use than we anticipated!

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Also, I know you are concerned that you may only use the seat for a few months, but that really depends on the size of your baby and what seat you get. The new Century and Evenflo seats go to 29inches and 22lbs which will see most babies (particularly girls, who tend to be smaller) through the first 9-12 months. Even the Graco seat, which goes to 20lbs and 26inches, may last you a good 6 months with a girl. My daughter (admitedly on the small side) fit in her Graco Snugride until she was 9 months old. It's really worth getting a new seat - nothing is more important than your baby's safety, particularly when they are this tiny and vulnerable. Good luck!
    -Lauren

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast