Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    UlrikeDG Guest

Default About the velcro...

I complained about the velcro when I called, and they sent me new straps without any prompting by me. The velcro was so high on the straps that the lap portion could not get tight, because the velcro hit the buckle tongues.

My harness adjuster is practically impossible to use as well. When DH puts our son in the seat, he shakes the whole vehicle trying to tighten those darn straps, and it STILL gets just barely tight enough! I haven't used it in over a week (just had a baby, and haven't left home yet), but when I was 38 weeks pregnant, there were times I had to ask DH for help, because I physically could not tighten the straps enough! I've written a letter to Britax to complain, but I'm still waiting for DH to photo copy my receipt, so I can send it.

--
    Ulrike

Booklety1 Guest

Default RE: About the velcro...

Please let us know how Britax responds to your letter of complaint. Also have you considered filing a complaint with NHTSA? You can do it online at www.nhtsa.gov. I think the Marathons they’re making now are good seats, but they messed up early on and they need to take responsibility for it. Maybe they will if enough of us complain.

desxposd Guest

Default RE: IMPORTANT: READ THIS IF YOU OWN A BRITAX MARATHON!

Hi,

ME TOO on the tightening problem, rrrrrr, its so frustrating! We have a Roundabout in one car that is great, but the (Aug 2002 manufactured) Marathon is a beast to tighten. :(

ME TOO on the velcro issue. I removed the velcro from the straps so they wouldn't get caught up on the snaps, which allowed the straps to tighten all the way, but they are still really tough to tighten. I have to climb into the car and really wrench on them. Of course now the straps get lost under my child since I can't velcro them to the sides.

I have been a loyal Britax advocate, but for $280 if they don't fix or replace my Marathon soon, I won't be for long. I'm going to write to them (to follow up my call to customer service) today!

Booklety1: I would really appreciate seeing your photos of the backs of the two versions so I can see how the later versions are routed. Could you please send those files back as attachments to this forum?

Thanks,
    Sally

michlee Guest

I recently bought a Marathon that was manufactured in January of this year. I don't have any trouble tightening it or with the velcro. In fact, the velcro lines up perfectly, which wasn't the case with the Advantage that preceeded it.

However, I do hate that I had to sew the belly pad so that it wouldn't come off everytime I took my ds out of his seat. (I'm with an earlier poster. I don't expect to have to sew a seat that cost me $240.) And I hate the rubber hug things and the "comfort" pads. All they do is get in the way and actually cause the "non-twist" straps to twist.

-Michelle

ismommy Guest

how did you remove the velcro? Did it damage the straps at all?

Helene
    mommy to Isabella 9/19/01

Booklety1 Guest

Look at this link: http://www.geocities.com/cpsadvocate/adjuster.html to see pictures taken of the top and undersides of both versions of the seat. The pictures on the left are of the routing that will cause major trouble tightening the seat.

To answer an earlier question, when I called Britax, they acknowledged that they had routed the harness two different ways, but they said that both ways had been crash tested and were safe. It may have been safe in a crash test, but that assumes that parents will be able to get the straps tight enough. This is clearly a safety concern.

The velcro thing is even more unbelievable. It is truly as if they never even tried the seat out on a small child before putting it in stores. The velcro problem doesn’t just require extra strength to tighten the straps, it means that the straps will be impossible to tighten on a small baby. My daughter’s straps were barely tight enough around the legs, and she is a hefty two-year-old. I also had to pull with all my might to tighten them because of the routing problem. I would get in the front seat and turn around to pull from there for extra leverage. It makes you wonder about their quality control. How many kids out there have loose straps around their thighs, and their parents don’t even realize that there is a problem? Without a recall, they may never get the new straps. A recall is also needed for the harness routing problem.

MMCDT Guest

Booklety1,

Please post the pictures here so that I can see the difference. I bought 2 Marathons with a manufactured date of Aug 2002.

I've had a lot of problems with my Marathons. Not so much with the tightening the straps but with the HUGS. Mine did not come with the black comfort straps. I had called Britax to complain that the HUGS were poking my son's eyes. akc's commented that it was poking her child's cheek. Britax told me that I had to purchase their black comfy strap to wrap around the HUGS' points. I was so furious, that I called NHTSA and complained. NOTHING was done by NHTSA. I was supposed to get a followup call from NHTSA but never received one. I ended up making my own comfy straps since I have extra fabric and velcro around.

Then 4 weeks later, I looked at the Britax website and saw how they were offering FREE comfy straps and EPS foam. I called Britax to ask why they did not send a recall notice to the ones who bought the Marathon's with an early manufacturing date. I did register my product!!! What is the purpose of registering if they are not going to contact anybody. They told me that the comfy straps were NOT a safety issue but just an added feature. It did not warrent a recall notice. Recall notices are for safety isssues, NOT for announcing optional comfort notices. I had told them that if my son's eyes were damaged by excessive poking of the HUGS points, it would have made national safety news!! Also Britax told me that this thing about sending out the black comfy straps was about 2 weeks old. So when I called earlier, I would have to pay for it back then.

In my 1st call to Britax to complain about the HUGS points poking my son's eyes, they told me the HUGS were vital. It was not an option. If you are not using the HUGS and the child received injury, Britax cannot be held accountable since it was not being used as told by the manual. I asked them to send me a new pair of HUGS without the points. They were hestitant at first. Then the next day I received a call from Britax. They told me that they will send me another set of HUGS for free. It was up to me to cut off the points myself. I have not done this yet since I've been using my homemade comfy straps to cover up the points. I did recieve the black ones from Britax but again, I'm just keeping it until I need to change out the ones I made.

Mostly I am disgusted that I paid $240 for the Marathon AND it did not come with cup holders!! But my 5yo and 1yo are using it.

MMCDT

ismommy Guest

Where are teh comfy things on teh website? ANd I was told you only need to use teh hugs forward facing. Is this not correct/

Helene
    mommy to isabella 9/19/02

If you don't have comfort pads, you can get them free...here's the page http://www.britaxusa.com/news.cfm?id...C60FFF2F2895A9 Also, the manuals have been updated, and they now clearly state that the rubber HUGS do NOT need to be on the straps when the seat is rearfacing, but they MUST be used when it is forward facing.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

ismommy Guest

Hi

I just got off the phone with Britax and the man I sopke with Ryan was very helful. He is sending me the commfort pads, expandedfoam and a new harness that he says might fix the adjusting problem. He said if it didnt to call back and let them know. I asked about the under vs. over and he said both are tested and was unaware that one would be easier than the other. I was very please with teh customer service but started off by talking about these boards and saying that I was very unhappy after registering my seat not to be contacted about any of this. He said not all children need the comfort pads. I also told him that Britax should start thinking of doing soem damage control bacuse there are alot of unhappy Marathon owners right now.

I would definitely call and express your displeasure.

Helene
    mommy to Isabella 9/19/01

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast