wilijon Guest

Default Recommendations on First Car Seat

We will be purchasing our first car seat in the next few weeks. We have a Volvo with Isofix. I've done a ton of research, but wonder what car seats users are recommending. Thanks.

Default RE: Recommendations on First Car Seat

The Graco Snugride and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio seem to be the gold standards.

I have the PP and am VERY happy with it.

I think it depends on how much you want things to "match".

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

I have the Graco Snugride and I like it a lot. I like that it can be used without the base (on those rare occasions when DH and I are not driving). My SIL has the Peg Perego Viaggio and likes hers, so I think both are good.

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas (4 1/2 months)

The Fisher Price Stay In View, if you can find it. (they are no longer being made). I get stopped by people all the time asking where we got ours and how can they get a strap like mine. Instead of a handle that you have to hold in an awkward way, it has a strap that runs head to toe on the seat, plus it becomes a shoulder strap. This innovative handle attachment means that the seat itself is narrower than most, so it fits in tight spaces.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

There are very few choices on infant seats available. The SnugRide seems to be the top pick (definitely stay away from the Evenflo Portabout--there can be installation problems with the base). I personally had a FP Stay In View and loved it, but I think the only place you can find one now is on eBay.

One seat that wasn't mentioned is the Baby Trend Latch-Loc. It's the only infant seat with rigid LATCH (Isofix) connectors. That makes it really easy to install the base, unless your back seat is extremely scooped out.

You can also go with a convertible seat, though they tend not to fit newborns real well. It's personal preference.

Here's a list for you to look at: http://www.carseatsite.com/recommended_car_seats.htm

Good luck!

Heather, CPS Tech
    http://www.carseatsite.com
    Heather, CPST/Instr.