Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TLC1994 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default HELP!! Styrofoam on car seat broke!!

Guess that's what I get for actually cleaning out my daughter's car seat! The styrofoam insert on one side broke in 2 pieces while removing it.

So, now what? The 2 pieces will fit back together, but is the car seat now totally unsafe to use? Can they be super-glued together? I've been looking to get something different for her since she's getting bigger, but I wasn't planning on doing it TONIGHT! Plus, I was going to give this one to my mom for her car to use with baby #2.

Please let me know ASAP if this car seat is ok to use. I'd call the manufacturer for replacement styrofoam, but it's a Fisher Price Safe Embrace and they haven't made them in a few years.

BTW - not to complain or anything (!) but why styrofoam? It is soooo easily broken. I had another Safe Embrace and the styrofoam broke in that one too and from what I remember, it was broken when I received the seat brand new in the box. FP did refund my money, it wasn't an issue at all, just a hassle.

Thanks so much for the help!

Default RE: HELP!! Styrofoam on car seat broke!!

I've *heard* that it's ok to keep using as long as all the foam is in place, but of course you need to call FP to find out the real story. They may still have some replacement parts, or offer you a refund of your purchase price...definitely couldn't hurt to try (their seats are supposed to be good for 8 years, so they are basically standing behind them, from what others have experienced).

Why Styrofoam? It's cheap and extremely energy absorbent...too bad they didn't wrap it in a durable plastic "skin" or something though, huh? (mine used to squeak like an old ice chest...drove me nuts! lol)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

I have heard (I too need to call as my styro is broken) that if you mail your seat back to them that they will refund you something like $83...
    I guess I should call and find out as it's just sitting in my closet...
    If not what side do you need? My right side is intact, the left is cracked...
    Also, I have called and they said that as long as it is on the seat portion (ie: where the bottom and legs rest) that you can secure it with duct tape and continue to use it....I however did not feel satisfies with that answer and bought a new seat (good excuse for a MA huh???)
    Valerie
    Mom to DD (7/01), DS (3/03) and "brother" (7/08)

TLC1994 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I called Fisher Price and asked if the seat was still ok to us and, to my surprise, they said YES! As long as the styrofoam fit back in alright, they said I could just duct tape it back together.

So, that's a relief. I'm still looking into a larger seat (booster) but now I don't have to rush into making a decision AND when I do get another seat, this FPSE can get put into grandma's car.

Thanks for the other posts/suggestions. I appreciate it!

mommy926 Guest

Hi,

Sorry if I am misunderstanding...

We have a Britax Roundabout and I remember there be a styrofoam piece when my husband installed it. I Tossed it out though! Was it important????? Thanks!

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've been trying to figure this out myself. A couple of weeks ago I broke a piece of styrofoam off of DD's RA while I was putting her in. My jacket sleeve caught on the top of the side as I lifted DD over the side and in. My sleeve lifted the fabric cover, caught, and snapped a piece (about 6x6) of styrofoam off. I was SO aggravated. I couldn't find anything on Britax's website about this and hadn't gotten around to calling them yet. Luckily we have another identical carseat in DH's car so we just put that one in my car until we get this figured out. Good to see that it may not require us to buy a new carseat.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

Yes! That's the energy absorbing foam. Give Britax a call and explain what happened. They should print a warning on it, shouldn't they?

Heather, CPS Tech
    http://www.carseatsite.com

This link might help http://www.britaxusa.com/shopping.cf...C5B9295&step=2

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

ps, and I think you need one or more of these, too http://www.britaxusa.com/shopping.cf...C5B9295&step=2

mommy926 Guest

Thanks Everyone.

I can't believe this! Is this common for Moms to toss it out?

I have another question though...the pics posted are NOT what I threw out. It was a little square thing that I think came from where the instructions were. Please Help! Thanks!

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for posting those links Julie. I didn't think to look in the shopping section - never occured to me it would be a replacable part. Now I just have to get the seat out and see exactly what I'm looking for and see if it's any of the things listed.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast