Netti Guest

Default Opinions on the Baby Trend Latch Loc infant seat?

I'm due 7/14 with my first baby and saw that the Graco Snug Ride and the Baby Trend Latch Loc seats got great reviews in the Baby Bargains book. I love the triangle handle on the Baby Trend - it will make it so much easier for me to carry.

But...I don't see any mention of the Baby Trend infant seat in any of these posts. Is it not such a good choice? Should I switch to Graco or another seat? I haven't opened the box yet so I thought I'd ask now before doing so. Also, I read that there's a new Baby Trend version coming out soon and will perhaps exchange mine for the newer one if I stay with Baby Trend.

Please help. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all these new mom choices.

Thanks for the help!

Cassandra27 Guest

Default RE: Opinions on the Baby Trend Latch Loc infant seat?

We have the Latch Loc seat and love it. The triangle handle really does seem to make a difference, it's so ergonomic. And I'm pleased with the canopy, which I understand can be a pain in some other models (i.e. Evenflo). The one thing I would caution is that while the Latch Loc is one of the very safest seats out there, it can be a struggle to install the base properly. As long as you can be sure to have your installation checked by the fire/police department or child safety tech, you're fine. We went to one of those events where they check everyone's car seat, car by car, and the pros added some foam padding to help incline the base properly, and I'm so glad we went. Also, when we strap the Latch Loc seat into my parents car, without the base, it's also very simple.

As for day by day use, we're very happy with our choice. I can't forsee any problems, and I can't think of any negative feedback at all. Putting her in and taking her out are a cinch. I'm thinking that so many people use the Graco or Evenflo travel systems and go with the matching car seat, and that's why you don't see many posts about Baby Trend.

Personally, I use the Latch Loc seat with a Snap N Go stroller frame and couldn't be happier. It's super easy to fold up and down, and handles really well. Also, the basket is quite large and extremely accessible while the car seat is installed, which is a frequent complaint of most strollers. We do have a Peg Perego that we'll use when she's outgrown her infant car seat (and therefore we can't use the Snap N Go anymore), or for extended outings, so that she can stretch out. Anyway, I know you didn't ask for stroller advice, so I'll stop there.

Good luck!

Cassandra
    mom to Jenna, born 02/03/04

Netti Guest

Cassandra -

Thanks for your input. I'm glad you love the seat because we are really leaning toward keeping it. After all, it did get great saftey and use ratings. I'll take your advice and have the fire dept. check the installation after we complete it. We just found out that our '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee does not have the latch system, which is unfortunate. We've heard it installs well without it too, so I guess we're okay.

I just got the Snap and Go stroller at my shower this past weekend and plan to use that for all quick trips. We also received the Zippy stroller which is heavier for those longer day trips and is supposed to be awesome. I think we're set in the seat/stroller dept.

There is supposed to be a new Baby Trend seat out that is the same, but better. It reclines. It's not in stores yet, but hopefully will be before we need to install the seat in early July.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom. It really helps to get some second opinions from "real" moms!

Best wishes,

michlee Guest

Jeanette-

Where did you buy your Baby Trend seat? Did you buy it directly through Baby Trend or from a store? I'm interested in buying one as well.

Thanks! -Michelle

RwnMayfair Guest

We have the Latch Loc Adjustable Back seat ourselves (you can see it here on Baby Trend's website - http://www.babytrend.com/carseats/tahoe.htm), and we've been extremely pleased with it as well. We bought it directly from Baby Trend since I didn't want the whole travel system it comes with. At the time that was the only way you could get it without the travel system. I think buying it with the travel system is the only way you can get the Adjustable Back version right now, but I believe I heard somewhere that's changing in the future. Don't quote me on that though, since I can't remember where I heard that.

We really like the handle too, I think it makes a big difference. I also agree that the canopy is wonderful as well. Another thing that pleases me are its height and length limits - Taran is almost six months old and he's still able to use it. If we'd various other seats he would have outgrown them two months ago, as he was 26.5 inches at his four month appointment.

We've never had any problems installing the seat ourselves, either with the LATCH or with a seatbelt, though I do know some people have problems doing so, at least with a seatbelt. It's definitely extremely easy with the LATCH. We've gotten it installed in four different vehicles fairly easily, two with LATCH and two without. It never hurts to have the installation checked though. We've also used it without the base a few times, and that was very easy as well.

We've also found that putting him in and out of the seat is very easy as well, and I love how easy it is to adjust the height of the straps.(You just twist a knob in the back!) I don't know if they adjust the same way on the regular Latch Loc though, since I decided I wanted the adjustable back one and so we just bought that one. I don't *think* they do, but someone who has the non-Adjustable Back would be able to tell you for sure.

A lot of people who have never seen either of the Latch Loc seats before have commented on the seat and admired it. We've been extremely pleased with this seat, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

-Melissa

Taran Reed - Nov, 20, 2003

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I highly recommend the Baby Trend Latch Loc. It's an attractive seat, easy to use, and it is reasonably priced. And it must be comfortable b/c DD sleeps in it most nights, LOL! She prefers it to her crib.

We have a car with LATCH, but a tech installed it without (in the middle position) and it very stable. FWIW we are able to place it in our P3 with no problem! Good luck! HTH!