Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Opinions on Evenflo Discovery Carseat

Everyone here is so helpful...here are a few more questions I am asking.
    My brother is about to have his first grandchild (he is SO young for this)and a friend of his gave him an Evenflo Discovery carseat. I know that the SR is the best...but money is tight (my 16 year old niece is the mom). I looked it up on line and it looks as though there is only three point harness. I am not sure how old this seat is either. Ofcourse my brother says "it looks brand new."
    Does anyone know anything about this seat? Can anyone make any suggestions about a car seat for after 20 lbs? Not the britax...too expensive he thinks.....TIA

Default RE: Opinions on Evenflo Discovery Carseat

bump

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You shouldn't base the age of a car seat on the way it looks.... it is very important to know how long ago it was made!If it is within the timeframe then it should be safe to use as long as they are certain that it hasn't been in any accidents. The 3 point harness is ok/safe to use.... it was the only choice not that long ago! If they are looking to save $ and borrowing the infant seat helps them spend $ on a better convertible then thats great!

As far as a convertible goes how about the Evenflo Triumph with the 5point harness. Be sure they get a 5 point harness not an overhead shield! or a Graco Comfortsport again with the 5 point!

Good Luck
    ~Tondi
    MOmmy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Tondi is right, check the label on the seat. it will indicate when it was made. If it has not label, don't use the seat.

3pt harness is fine at the infant stage.

For after the Evenflo Triumph is nice, or on the least expensive end, the Touriva.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

thank-you everyone for responding....
    I told my brother to check for a date but he couldn't find it...
    probably not looking hard enough. This is why I am concerned about the car seat to begin with. He also thinks every carseat is created equal. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just wanted to say that the discovery seat is still being made and is on the evenflo website... so it could very well be a newer seat. It is just their lower end model... perfectly usable if you can find out when it was made and if it is within guidlines!

http://www.evenflo.com/pr/in/prin_disc.phtml

Maybe see if you can get a look at it and see if it is one of these patterns???

~Tondi