samiam Guest

Default RA Install Questions and RF Questions

I had the local police install my Roundabout (rear facing, seat belt method). They did a great job - it doesn't budge. However, I noticed reading the manual that they used the wrong lockoff. The manual says you should use the lockoff opposite the side where the seat belt is locked. They used the lockoff on the same side. I'm curious how much of an issue this is? I'm going back in a few weeks to have them install a second seat in my car so I can have them fix the first seat at this time. Or is it enough of a safety issue that I should be addressing this more quickly?

Another question - my local police dept. is excellent, knows all about extended rear facing, etc. There was a car seat clinic in town recently, staffed by officers from some surrounding towns. I was practically ridiculed for wanting to keep my 2 year old son RF (and as a side note, he's on on the small side). A friend of mine had a similar experience at a clinic in her town - she was chastized by not only the police, but by the other moms (this was at a MOMS club meeting in which a police officer attended). I know someone here wrote an excellent article on car seat safety for a MOMS club newsletter (and I have forwarded it to my friend for her chapter's use), but does anyone have any sample letters to police? I'm thinking they won't take the time to read the article - might just want a paragraph or two with some web links. Any suggestions?

Default RE: RA Install Questions and RF Questions

Absolutely no worries about that wrong lockoff. The only reason they went to recommending the side opposite the buckle is because of cars with long buckle stalks, sometimes they can get in the lockoff and break it. Most of the time I use the wrong side myself, because I find it SO much easier to install the seat that way (all your leverage is on that side for proper belt tightening, so it's easier to just do it right there and then, rather than switch places and lock the other lockoff).
    Hmmm...the standard tech curriculum doesn't really stress extended rearfacing, so the average cop tech isn't going to take the time or energy to educate themselves beyond that. www.cpsafety.com has lots of links, including to the AAP statement that might help...maybe you can just modify the moms letter to cops somehow? Or check www.carseat.org for reprodicibles for cops (contact them, even, they are VERY nice and eager to help with this sort of issue).
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

samiam Guest

Thanks Julie - you are such a treasure on this board! I feel much better knowing my seat is safe as is. What you're saying makes complete sense, especially as I had to order a new lockoff from Britax when the one being used on the other side of the car broke!

I'll start working on my letter, and will check both links. Thanks a million! I probably also owe a letter to my local police department, for being up to date on extended rear facing. Not sure the cops get enough credit for providing this service.

LisaD_MomtoEmily Guest

Just chiming in to agree that Jools is awesome, giving of herself so generously to all of us. Thanks a million! I've learned so much from you (and gained invaluable "mom's peace of mind").

Lisa D.
    SAHM to Emily Rose born 6/22/04