K-Bear is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Travel Car Seat/Scenera Question

We currently have the Scenera as our travel carseat, but I'll need to buy another travel car seat since we'll be going on our first flying trip since we had our second daughter (11 months).

Here's my scenario - 2 DD's - 3 and 11 months. Currently 1 travel car seat - the Scenera. DD1 (the 3yo) is 39.5 inches.

I need to buy another travel car seat (I don't want to drag the Marathon through airports). Do I buy another Scenera (I've been pleased with it as a travel car seat) or something else?

My main reservation about getting another Scenera is the height limit. I forget what it is now, but isn't my 3 yo really close to outgrowing it? That is why I thought I would get another seat, but I don't know what the next seat would be!

Thanks for any suggestions!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

How much do they weigh?
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd go with a Radian. But my kids are big and we also use the RN for a second car. The RNs are great but heavy. They fold which is nice.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

K-Bear is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom
    How much do they weigh?
    My 3 yo weighs 28 lbs (tall and skinny). I'm not too sure how much my 11 month old weighs - definitely under 20 lbs. She may be 17 lbs.

I've heard good things about the Radian, but I don't know if I want something heavy (I loved that the Scenera was so lighweight!)

Is your 3yo FF? If so, something like the Graco Platinum Booster would work. We used that as a travel seat when DS outgrew the Scenera and it worked great. It was recommended to me by this board. It's lightweight and easy to install.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

<nodding> A Cargo with front adjuster would work for a FF child. Only issue that some people have is that the buckle can end up right behind the child's back on an airplane sometimes. Not sure if there is any fix for that.

The height limit is a guideline on the Scenera, as long as the shoulders aren't above the top slot, or the ears above the top of the seat, they are still safe (assuming under 40 lbs). If she still fits and you like it, it would be cheaper than a Cargo.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)