hardysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default From Porche bucket seats to Outbacks center seat- what works in tough spaces?

Crazy, crazy days. This has been a rough year. I have been in treatment for Breast Cancer for 9 months. I'm doing great, but we are in "doing our best" mode, which isn't always perfect...

DH, I think in an emotional outburst, traded in his car for a 2000 Porche Carerra. It has a back seat w/ 2 VERY deep bucket seats... I am trying to find a booster of some sort which might work if he has to pick up kids in a pinch...

Porche has a seat (actually made by Britax) for the front which disables the air-bag, but I am just not ready to put my kids in the front, period.

The only thing I have found that would work in back is a Britax StarRiser. I am just wondering if there is any obscure, very narrow thing you guys know about. The StarRiser base is fine... I could probably track a couple more down if that is the best bet... My Britax Parkways are really too wide... The best base width needs to be under 14".

I have 4yr old old, 35ish lb twins and a 6 yr old. Only 2 could fit in the car at a time as there isn't a middle seat in the back. DEEP buckets. Never seen anything like it. Obviously, boosters aren't ideal, but there is no way DS will leave MAs installed in the car- whatever is in there needs to fit in the tiny trunk... the kids would only be in the car in a pinch. Like, if one was sick and the school couldn't reach me to get them.

Part 2, THE OUTBACK...

So, given that our family of 5 can't fit in the new car AND given that I am not allowed to drive it, we are fixing up my old '96 Outback to use as a 3rd car. In the past, I have occasionally used it w/ 3 kids. It is tight, but can be done with a RA in the middle, belt only seat.. Or, one RF in middle w/ 2 front facing...

The twins have really outgrown the RA... I need to find something of reasonable size for that belt-only middle seat. I have installed the tether kit, so I have those...

Will a SafeGuard Hybrid thing-y work? I'd need to be able to fit 2 seats (probably narrow boosters) on either side. Do I need to go with vests? Are there other options?

Again, this wouldn't be an everyday car. I have a Sequoia which is more car-seat friendly. 99.9% of the time the kids are in it, but I'd rather be prepared for the eventuality that they will need to ride in another car than to have DH or grandma "wing-it" with nothing or have them sit on phone books or towels or something like that.

Thanks

Stephanie

Have you looked at some seats that have "rails" on the bottom to help fit buckety seats? I don't know if the rails would be deep enough, but you could try. I know the Recaro Vivo has rails on the bottom. The Compass boosters do, too. If all else fails, you could try and order some closeout Fisher Price Safe Voyage boosters; they're based on the Star Riser and would have somewhat more recent DOMs.

Have you looked at the Sunshine Kids Radian for your Outback? You may be able to fit three across w/ it. If you can't, I'm sure 2 radians outboard w/ a SafeGuard Go or Ride Safer Travel Vest would work.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Go talk to the car seat people at car-seat.org -- there are tons of techs there. and you can also check carseatdata.org.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.