Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default RE: Pictures of spine development: the reason a baby should not face forward

Sounds like a good idea!

Default RE: Pictures of spine development: the reason a baby should not face forward

Thanks for the info!

I definitely want to keep DS RF as long as possible. He's just about 20 lbs at 13 months. So when do you know you MUST go FF? I've read too many conflicting answers to know for sure.

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

They "must" go FF only when they are too heavy or too tall for the particular seat to be used RF.

The weight limit is strict. If the seat is 33 lbs max, then at 33 lbs even, the child must go FF. (Or buy a bigger seat.) RF weight limits are 30, 33, or 35 lbs depending on brand.

Height limits are less defined. They have to say a certain number of inches, but the reality is some kids are all leg, some all torso. In RF, you WANT them to be above the slot (to hold the child down in the seat).

You have to read the manual to find out what the rule is regarding the where the head needs to be in relation to the seat's back. That's the biggie for RF height rules.

Don't worry about their legs. Their legs are fine!! Most kids are completely comfy and don't care about having their legs crossed, etc. My son went briefly FF at 22 months when I was driving a tiny car for a week. He'd stretch his legs madly to try and reach the front seat and rest them there. He didn't know what to do with his legs FF. When I got my car back, he happily crossed his legs and fell asleep RF.

Most kids do outgrow seats by height before weight, something to keep in mind and check for.

Marcy_O Guest

Thanks for posting this. Now maybe I can convince my DH to leave the carseat as it is. He's been just WAITING for Bright to turn one and to be 20 lbs so he can turn the car seat around. But I keep telling him to just leave it. Maybe NOW he'll be convinced.

bump for newcomers...

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I was thinking of editing my original post to include links to the videos of FF and RF crash tests. I referred to the crash forces a seat undergoes, but not everyone knows what it looks like when a seat is in a crash. What do people think?

Nicci

I think that's a great idea! That way people see it right up front (before they get bogged down by all the other wonderful, but time consuming posts - heehee)......

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I added a paragraph with a link to the videos, and corrected some typing mistakes. I hope the link to the videos and the photos together, help in understanding what is going on when a child is in an accident and why rear-facing is best practice.

Nicci

Thanks for posting those pictures!

My son is 23months old, and we have really been considering turning him ff even though our older child was rf past 3 years old..

I was actually coming to ask about it when I saw your post.

He will be staying rf until he reaches the 33lbs for his Britax

momtoB is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

*~* bump *~*

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast