chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Wet car seat -- does anything need replacing?

Here's a fun question -- My DH has a Feb 2004 Marathon in his BMW convertible and left the top down outside last night -- of course it rained. :-(
    So after mopping out the car and taking the seat apart to dry it -- I wonder if I need to have anything replaced. The straps got *really* wet and so did the foam, etc. too. It's all dry now, but before I put DS in it again I want to be sure its safe. What do the experts think?

Thanks,
    Cheryl
    chays

DS1 2003
    DD 2006
    DS2 2009

MamaParis Guest

Default RE: Wet car seat -- does anything need replacing?

I'd replace all of the straps ... harness ... adjuster ... LATCH if you use it ...

Straps aren't suposed to get wet as it can weaken them and caus ethem to fail in an accident ...

Everything else is probably ok.

That stinks about the wet car! Make sure you get it really dry - mold grows so fast!!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would get a new harness and anything else that got soaking wet (not the cover or the EPS, but the comfort foam). The harness is only $12 from Britax and the Comfort foam $2/pc. I would think the adjuster strap would be OK as it was under the seat, but you should probably call Britax anyway and ask what they think.

Then you can get to work making a showercap for the MA... :-)
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I'd definitely replace all straps that got soaking wet.

Include the harness adjuster and comfort foam, too.

they aren't that pricey for peace of mind.

Kat

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I called Britax and they said the seat should be fine -- that I don't need to replace anything. Just thought I'd let you know.
    Thanks for the help!
    chays

DS1 2003
    DD 2006
    DS2 2009

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks, that's great to know. I always wondered why the manual says to wipe off spills. I would think the stomach acid in vomit is far more damaging to fabric than a few quick dunks into water with some mild soap/detergent.

Thanks again!

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

that's interesting... they always say not to submerge straps... though I guess rain isn't submerging.

Kat

MamaParis Guest

Yeah that seems odd for them to say nothing needs to be replaced.

I'd probably call back and get a second CS rep and see if the answer is still the same just to make 100% sure.

I remember calling them about a year or two ago when I stipped my seat down to clean it and my DD accidentally threw it in the sink instead of putting it on the counter like I asked her to do. And they told me to replace them ...

But I also agree with a PP ... there is so much acidy spit up on some of these straps that I can't imagine how water could be any worse .. but I'm not the engineer around here. lol

DH is an engineer and he has always agreed with me to replace the harness straps after they start to get a little funky from the spit up and sweat and so on.