Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    motheroftwo Guest

Default re-install tether strap in Cosco car seat

My friend gave me her fairly new Cosco Ventura combination car seat for occasional use in my mom's van. My friend had removed the tether strap for use as a booster seat. On the Cosco website, it says you should remove the tether when not using it. However, there are no instructions in the book on how to remove or replace the tether. My friend actually cut the end of the tether to remove it. She kept the inch-long piece that she cut off.

I folded the tether strap over and re-sewed it. It looks like it was just sewn to keep it from fraying... just to finish off the end of the strap. The strap is still very long.

There's a metal thing that sort of looks like a seatbelt buckle at one end. There's a big tether hook threaded on to the very long strap. I'm assuming you somehow thread the strap through the plastic on the back of the seat and then back through that seatbelt buckle thing.. but I'm not sure. Graco has all sorts of instructions on how to re-attach their tethers, but I can't find the same info for Cosco. When I e-mailed them, they said I shouldn't have removed the tether (even though their website says to). So far they haven't provided me with info on how to re-attach the tether. I meant to look at seats in the store when I was there the other day but forgot.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has any information that might help, that would be great. I live in Canada, if that makes a difference.

Pam

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: re-install tether strap in Cosco car seat

Since the strap has been cut, you will most likely need to get a replacement. I would call Cosco (1-800-544-1108) and talk to them about it. It may not be possible to replace it.

Their website says that it is preferable to remove the tether when not in use, but to follow the instruction manual. Your friend probably shouldn't have cut it off. :-(

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

motheroftwo Guest

Well actually it's a little confusing. They tell me that tethers in Canada are not meant to be removed (despite what their Canadian website says in the FAQ). However, it is possible to buy a new one which must mean it can be re-installed. I assume if I buy one that they'll tell me at that time how to re-install it. I am just wondering if they're going to mail me (for a fee) the exact same thing that I already have here in my hands. I can't get them to explain how the one they have will differ from what I have.
    Pam

once it was cut, it was damaged... even by resewing it, you can't know how it will perform in a crash.

you definitely need a new tether.

motheroftwo Guest

I am all about car seat safety. I just am not sure if where I sewed it, it's important. It was just turning over the end to stop it from fraying. If the end piece has absolutely no involvement in how the tether works (ie if the end piece just flaps freely once the tether is tightened), then I would think that it's not an issue in this case. I will definitely pay the money for a new one if it's warranted... I'm just not clear yet if it is or not.
    Pam

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Can you post a picture of it?

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

motheroftwo Guest

I can post a picture tomorrow. My husband took the camera to work today.

When I look at the picture of "tether strap installation and use", it looks like the free end of the strap (the end that I folded over on itself and sewed to keep from fraying) somehow threads back through the latch plate. The latch plate is used to adjust tether length. The latch plate gets lifted up and moves towards the free end of the strap to loosen it.

It really appears in the picture that the piece I sewed has no force exerted on it whatsoever. It just threads through the latch plate and then hangs there freely.... I THINK. I'm just not sure how to thread it through and don't want to do it wrong.

I did find this link that maybe shows how to thread the strap but it's not that clear. The free end seems again to just hang after it's thread through the latch plate. The picture below though is of an adjuster and not a latch plate. It might be for the Alpha Omega.

http://recall.djgusa.com/services/pr...allation%22%22

motheroftwo Guest

I was wrong about the camera. However, it says my upload failed because the picture was too big. It says at the bottom there's an attachment. It also gave me this URL http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35523.jpg

I'll just post this to see if the picture worked or not.

In the picture, you can see the black and silver latch plate at one end, the tether clip threaded onto the strap, and the free end (the other end from the latch plate) that I folded over and sewed to keep from fraying.

Pam

oh, I understand... you're right... it should be fine... my apologies... I was thinking something entirely different.

however, not to discount the work you already did, but what you would want to do is then fold it over again to make a loop... sew that.

then you thread the loop through the two slots for the tether at the back of the seat... pull through and then feed the latch connector (the clip) through the hole and pull tight.

that's it.

then you just connect the clip to the top tether anchor and pull the strap to tighten it.

Kat

motheroftwo Guest

Sorry Kat,
    I don't quite get it.

I'm picturing that the strap will feed through the loop that I'll sew... in which case I would think that the sewing would then be involved in holding the strap. I wouldn't want the loop to open in an accident because I haven't sewn it right.

I also don't get how I'll pull the tether tight if the other end of the strap isn't feeding through the latch connector at all.

I think I must be getting the wrong mental picture.
    Pam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast