HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Marathon locking clip broken

I had posted before that DH reinstalled the Marathon for DS using latch in the center of our Camry RF. I now know why. The locking clip on the side where the seatbelt buckles is broken. What are my options for a solid installation with a broken locking clip? Should I just contact Britax --what will they do--or use a metal locking clip that we got with our infant seat (we have two of them)?

Thanks,
    Heather
    DS 11/27/04
    DD EDD 6/222/07

Default RE: Marathon locking clip broken

You can ignore the lockoffs altogether, your seatbelts lock :)
    No, don't use metal locking clips.
    Yes, call Britax and get replacements...and here's the good news...I was told at Lifesavers by the Britax rep that you can install them 'backwards'...a 180 flip from the way they are, which will make the hinge on the other side and should be MUCH easer to use and less prone to breakage (yay!).

So, what you wanna do is...install it with the belt, just leave the lockoffs closed... crank/pull/tug UP hard on the shoulderbelt on the buckle side, to get the lapbelt ultra tight, all while still leaving the shoulderbelt loose. Tether to get a good recline, tighten the lapbelt again, and once you are pleased with the tightness and recline, then *gently* pull the shoulderbelt all the way out and let it retract gently...it'll be locked, but not TIIIIIIGHT and pulling the seat up sideways, voila, you should be good for weeks or months of a solid installation without the shoudlerbelt pulling it up into a tilt.

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Julie,

Thank you so much. Now we know what to do. Don't have this problem in our other car as we use latch outboard. DS doesn't ride in DH car a whole lot, but both DH and I want him to be safe no matter what.

Heather
    DS 11/27/04
    DD EDD 6/22/07

The same thing happened to our carseat. We have locking seat belts, but I like having the locking clip since the Marathon is now our travel carseat. I called britax and they sent me a replacement for free. I haven't replaced it yet though.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Britax also sent me free replacement RF lockoffs. I installed them myself, but they were a PITA. Make sure you have an hour or so before you attempt it.

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

Ok, I just tried to install the Marathon RF in the center of the Camry with the seatbelt and no locking clips. No matter what I did, I could not get a solid install. The front and back of the base moved way to much--and I could not stop the base from popping up even a tiny bit. So, for today, until DH gets home with my car, I installed the carseat RF outboard behind the driver with latch (which took 2 minutes and I got a rock solid install the first time). What am I doing wrong with the shoulder belt install? Is it safe to have DS RF outboard if DH and I cannot get a solid install without the locking clips in the center?

Also, we will not be putting the infant seat base in this car so on DS or DD will be riding in this car one at a time.

Thanks,
    Heather
    DS 11/27/04
    DD EDD 6/22/07

Yes, don't fret, a good rearfacing LATCH install is very, very safe outboard :)
    It just takes practice and maybe seeing someone do it, to get that middle belt install good... I spend so much time describing it that even *I* am becoming disenchanted with RF Britaxes (Yes, I said it... didn't want to have to say it, but I did...)

Call and get your new lockoffs, ask about installing them at a 180 degree flip, and we'll revisit this later
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Thanks Julie,

I called today and they are sending me a new set. They said they were doing this as a one time good will gesture. I didn't question it, but I thought that was weird, since I supplied them with the manufacture date, model number and serial number and they have my name on file for that seat--which they read back to me. I know I can get a good center install with the locking clips as I have done that before and gotten a rock solid install.

Heather
    DS 11/27/04
    DD EDD 6/22/07