sluhrsen Guest

Default tall 3 year old growing out of Britax Roundabout - help!

Hello!

My daughter is 3 years 2 months old, and she is just about to grow out of her Britax Roundabout. She is 39 in. tall, and the top of her shoulders will soon be higher than the top harness slots. My first thought was to simply purchase a booster seat for her, but I understand that children are considered safest in a 5 point harnessed seat for as long as possible. So, where to go from here? Should I purchase another convertible seat for her that has a higher maximum height (e.g., Britax Marathon), which would cost us about $250? Or is she just as safe in a booster seat (such as the Graco TurboBooster or the Compass), which would cost under $100? Although I have loved her Britax Roundabout, I am kicking myself right now for not originally purchasing a Britax (or other brand) with a higher maximum height. Thank you for any suggestions you might have!

Sandy

Default RE: tall 3 year old growing out of Britax Roundabout - help!

She is definitely to young for a booster. What is her weight? Some seats that you can check out would be:
    1) Britax Marathon, Decathlon or Boulevard
    2) Britax Regent
    3) Sunshine Kids Radian
    4) Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe
    5) Apex 65
    6) Evenflo Triumph Advance (not sure if it has come out yet) it's the one that harnesses to 50 pounds.

HTH.
    Melinda - mom to 3 beautiful girls and an awesome boy

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: tall 3 year old growing out of Britax Roundabout - help!

We had a Roundabout too and after DD grew out of it (age 4) we got a Radian for DHs car so it would still have room to fit a passenger on either side and DD likes it. It's alot taller than the Roundabout and I believe it will take her to about age 7. I got a Regent for my car, a TOyota Echo. It fits well in the middle with the seatbelt but there's not really room for a passenger (you can squeeze one in but not for a long ride). It's very comfortable and will keep DD harnessed until I believe age 9 or so. I like both seats. I think if your DD is tall for her age you'd be better off getting something a bit bigger/taller than the marathon. I def think you should keep her in a 5pt harness at that age.