poofgirl Guest

Default Urban dweller with stroller questions.

I am about to register and Baby Bargains has been extremely helpful with rating products, etc. I don't understand why I need two strollers since I don't have a car and use public transportation and taxis at least 3x/week.

The recommended Peg Perego Venezia seems too bulky for public transportation, but feels really solid. It would only be good for daily errands and strolls.

I tried out the Maclaren Opus VI as well. I liked it but the wheels felt funny. The wheels seemed liked they weren't rolling properly.

Any suggestions from other city moms?

TIA,
    Angelina

Geebee Guest

Default RE: Urban dweller with stroller questions.

I'm not an urban mom, but I just wanted to agree with you about the Maclaren and funny wheels. I had the same experience with the Maclaren Mistral.

Also, I just bought a Peg Perego Pliko Sherpa, and you might want to check that out. Relatively light weight, nobby wheels, compact folding, and fully reclining. It is relatively easy to get in and out of a car (which is what I was looking for).

poofgirl Guest

Does the Pilko Sherpa fold easily? The compact fold sounds great, I'll check it out.

I noticed a lot of people complaining about the Maclaren wheels.

Thanks for the input,
    Angelina

Geebee Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-01 AT 10:24AM (Mountain)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-01 AT 10:23 AM (Mountain)[/font]

The Sherpa folds pretty easily. Like anything, the more that you fold it, the easier it becomes. I guess that you could say that it folds in a non-standard way. It isn't obvious, like the other umbrella-type strollers. I had to have an employee at the Babies R Us demonstrate. But once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy.

I also like the side handle for carrying when it is folded. That might come in handy for you. Also, if the front wheels are locked forward and straight, the folded Sherpa stands on its own.

Make sure that you look at the new 2001 versions - they come with a basket. The older versions don't include the basket.

GinaP Guest

Howdy. I'm an urban dweller too (D.C.)--I've got a Combi Ultra Savvy and like it a lot. It suits my needs well, but if I lived in Manhattan, I would get an easy-to-fold umbrella stroller like the MacLaren or the Pliko, espeically if you're going to be getting in and out of taxis (the Ultra Savvy does not fold expediently). I think the Opus and the Pliko Sherpa are about the same weight (15ish pounds) and are both highly rated for quality, so the things to consider are basket size, ease and quickness of folding, recline angle, which one will fit into narrow grocery and retail store aisles, and which one will give your babe the most shade in the summer and cold protection in the winter. The Opus has a boot for the winter, but the shade doesn't offer much in the way of sun protection. The Pliko Sherpa has great shade protection since the canopy extends itself well, but has no boot (although you could buy a rain cover to cover that).

As far as getting two strollers, you probably could get away with one of the above as your only stroller. A lot of people like the Milano or the Venezia because it's solid and can be used as either a carriage or a stroller, but it is definitely too bulky to use on the subways--I can't even imagine trying to lug either of those down the subway stairs. You might consider getting one for strolls, as you mentioned, and another to take a beating on subways, buses and taxis, like a cheaper MacLaren (Vogue or Mistral).

Good luck,
    Gina P

PS I just realized you didn't mention Manhattan--perhaps it was the comment about taxis that made me assume that? Hope this post helped, anyway.