joaninhak Guest

Default Help! Lightweight, all terrain stroller??

I am expecting a baby in July and will be moving to Africa in September. I need a lightweight stroller (to take on the plane) that does well on rough terrain, (won't be in too many shopping malls with it!) but isn't too bulky/heavy. Fully reclining would be great as well.

I think I have narrowed it down to the kidco bebecar all terrain stroller ($150 @ strollersforless.com) or the babytrend navigator ($75 @ babycenter.com after discounts) Personally the Kidco bebecar all terrain plus sounds best since you can lock the front wheels OR have them swivelling, but there are budget issues, and I can't spend $350.

So the question is, has anyone used either of these two, is the kidco one really a better quality, or am I just paying for the name? I have found helpful reviews on babycenter for the Baby trend Navigator, but don't really know how it compares to the kidco one.

Any advice would be appreciated!!
    Thanks

Jo

britchick Guest

Default I dont think the one on strollers4less is the swivel one(m)

I think they have the older model that has the non swivel wheels.If i were you i would phone them first to be sure.HTH

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Help! Lightweight, all terrain stroller??

Hi! Where in Africa will you be and how do you think that you will typically use your stroller? Also, will this be your only stroller? If so, then I'm not sure either of the 2 you mentioned is a good choice. I spent a few weeks in Kenya and Tanzania a few years ago and my experience there would lead me to hypothesize that the roads and sidewalks (if they even exist where you will be) will be in absolutely terrible condition. Even in large urban areas like Nairobi, the infrastructure was terrible except in the poshest of areas. If you will be in large urban areas in South Africa, then the infrastructure there may be somewhat better.

You may want to re-think your budget and go with something that will be a bit sturdier. A couple brands of all-terrain strollers considered quite heavy duty are Mountain Buggy ( http://www.mountainbuggyusa.com ) and the Kiwi Explorer ( https://secure2.siliconblue.com/baby...yframeset.html ).
    These strollers both weigh just under 20 pounds, are suitable from birth on up and fold relatively compactly.

A single all-terrain stroller from either company will run in the $300 range. BUT consider that if your stroller breaks while you are in Africa, depending on where you are, you may or may not have other options available to you. And those options are not likely to be very economical ones. A more expensive stroller now is probably a wise investment. A stroller is one of the most important pieces of baby gear you will have. Its ability to go places may determine YOUR ability to go places. To be honest, if I had to choose how to spend my dollars, I would skimp in other areas to get a better stroller. I would do without a high chair, for example. (Actually, a stroller makes a pretty OK high chair!!)

My 2 cents,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

joaninhak Guest

We will be travelling some (three months in Nairobi and then three months in S. Africa) but then settling in Chad. Mostly the terrain there is sandy but not as rough and rocky as the Nairobi "sidewalks" :-)

Thanks heaps for the advice, will be checking out the strollers you mentioned.

Jo

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have a great time! We really enjoyed our time in East Africa, especially Tanzania. The country is so gorgeous and the people were very friendly. :)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

EEEK! I so TOTALLY agree w/ the other posts! You MUST buy a Mountain Buggy! I would hate to be stuck in Africa with a no good stroller. If you are here, and something goes wrong, you have loads of options. Over there, you are stuck!!!!! You can't expect top quality nor durability from a $75 stroller. They break. ANd frequently. I know the MB is rugged and sturdy and designed exactly for the terrain you describe. The Kiwi is not a bad stroller, but the frame on the MB is sturdier, and it is much easier to fold. It also has a full recline that makes a nice little bed for the baby, and is super easy to clean. Please tell me you won't bring a cheap stroller over there, I'm about to have a HEART ATTACK!x( x( x( x(
    Strollerqueen