Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Best Diaper Bag for Air Travel?

I currently have three diaper bags: the Combi backpack, the Lands' End tote and the Bjorn hard-case. I've never used the Bjorn and am considering returning it and getting a Lands End Do-it-All instead. Anyway, I am wondering which of the 4 would be the best bag for airline travel? Or if not among these four, what else would you suggest? I'm going to San Francisco (from Chicago) for a week in May. It's a 3.5-hour flight and it will be just Nate and me on the flight out there, although my husband will be with us on the flight home. I plan to bring only the diaper bag, the carseat and the Baby Bjorn on board with us, and gatecheck the stroller.

TIA
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

MomInClogs Guest

Default RE: Best Diaper Bag for Air Travel?

Caroline,

We travel quite a bit--and having a good diaper bag is a huge priority for us. We have a few--the Lands End Do It All Deluxe (took it on the plane as very new parents of a 6 week old--a 20 hour journey--and we've never taken it again), a very nice and fairly light Coach microfibre/leather bag for "lunch out and shopping with the girls and the baby"(which is perfect for that reason!)--but the one that goes on the planes, trains and automobiles is the One Step Ahead Backpack. It is PERFECT for travelling. We have learned that having a diaper bag that goes over the shoulder while travelling is quite troublesome--sore shoulders--and when bending down, you could accidently whack your baby with your diaper bag! And it is so helpful to have your hands free with babies, boarding passes, strollers, car seats, snacks, bottles and toys to juggle all at once.

I also find that having a bag that zips completely shut is important when travelling.

So I highly recommend the One Step Ahead bag--the diaper stuff has its own little area so you don't have to open the whole bag--great for airplanes when you have little room for fumbling for things. It can be a bit large if you pack it up which we do (DS' blanket and stuffed travel pals take up quite a bit of room these days)--but it's fine once it's on my back. It fits Avent/sippy bottles/snacks with its huge side pockets (insulated) and has many other little pockets inside.

I never travel without it!

Kat

Kate888 Guest

I second the OSA Backpack! I've used it for a 20 hour international flight, traveling alone with my then 8 month old. The compartments make it so easy to find what you need and the padded shoulder straps are comfortable to wear. One Step Ahead is having a summer sale now, just type SUMMER20 when you check out to get 20% off (thanks mam2be for sharing the code).

Good luck with your search!

Kate
    Mama to Maya 2-17-02

There are three backpack diaper bags on onestepahead.com, which one are you guys talking about?

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...=10&iSubCat=13

...Karen
    Jake age 12
    Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Kate888 Guest

I have the High Performance Backpack in black.

HTH,

Kate
    Mama to Maya 2-17-02

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use my Baby Bjorn BackPack for travel and find that it works great! It's very comfy to wear and leaves you hands-free - it also has a lot of good compartments and a nice, thick changing pad. Good luck!
    -Lauren

Based upon the recommendations here, I'm thinking about getting the One Step Ahead backpack now. In case you decide to do the same, I wanted to let you know how you can save a little over $19 on this backpack using a coupon code with OSA and ebates. I posted this on another forum, so I'm just going to copy that information here:

I just wanted to pass along a coupon code that I received via email (because I recently bought something from OSA) for purchases at OneStepAhead through 4/30/03. The coupon code is SUMMER20 (must be typed in all caps) and is for 20% off purchases of $40 or more. You can also get an additional 5% rebate back from OneStepAhead(even with the above coupon) by going to the OneStepAhead website through ebates.com. You can sign up for an account in less than a minute and then earn rebates at tons of stores, including many baby stores. Here's a link for signing up: http://www.ebates.com/index.jsp?refe...om&refpageid=1

Note: Although you can go directly to ebates.com to sign up, I'd really appreciate your clicking on the above link so I can get credit for telling you about them. I've saved so much money already in my online baby shopping just by using ebates, so hopefully you can experience the same if you haven't already signed up. Thanks and good luck with your backpack decision!

mamaharsh Guest

My choice of bags for travel has changed as Nate ages. When he was really little and I was mostly carrying diaper and clothing supplies, I loved my LE backpack. From about age 6 months to one year, I loved the LE Deluxe bag. I loved the fact that it had lots of different compartments so I could easily find his food and his toys, while still carrying tons of diapers (I'm scared to death of long layovers and running out of diapers LOL). From about one year until recently, I traveled using a small duffle bag. It was lighter when empty than the the LE and had enough compartments to keep my stuff separate from his. By then, I was traveling with very little food other than snacks and juice boxes, so I no longer need the bottle pockets.

For my next trip, I'm back to a backpack, but I'm taking my Eddie Bauer huge backpack that I used in grad school. Now that he's mobile (ie, running) I have to have my hands free!

HTH,

Sara, mama to Nathaniel, 10/01

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hey, good name choice! :)
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss