puglucy Guest

Default Is there an umbrella stroller that will hold a car seat for older infants/toddlers?

I'm looking for a stroller, preferably under 15 lbs (17?) that can also be used as a travel system with a car seat. But not an infant car seat, one for a larger baby/toddler.

I know the Zippy & the MacLaren Global can also take car seats, but I think maybe just infant car seats --?

TIA!

Lucy
    mama to Alex 3/18/03

jayhjay Guest

Default RE: Is there an umbrella stroller that will hold a car seat for older infants/toddlers?

I am not sure I am understanding your question correctly, but it seems you are looking for a stroller that will hold a toddler car seat? If this is the case, unfortunately that doesn't exist. The car seats for bigger kids (once they grow out of those little bucket carriers) attach completely to your car. You have them installed (like the base of an infant seat) and you are not going to want to to take them out very often. They are too big to fit in a stroller and aren't made for that.

It is a sad day when you realize you can't take your sleeping baby with you from their car seat without unstrapping them! I miss having my daughter fall asleep in the car and just carrying her to a restaurant still sleeping. But unfortunately, once they move to the bigger car seat, the only choice is to unstrap them.

If you are looking for good lightweight strollers, this board is full of suggestions. Try one with a full recline and lots of padding since it sounds like your baby is still young enough to want to sleep in the stroller.

But

puglucy Guest

Default RE: Is there an umbrella stroller that will hold a car seat for older infants/toddlers?

Ahh. So sad, but thanks. I think there *is* a toddler car seat that'll fit in the Kolcraft Universal, but I guess it's a totally diff. thing from a lightweight stroller.

Lucy
    mama to Alex 3/18/03

mom2kandj Guest

I totally thought that what you were asking was weird, but I did see a convertible carseat on a SnapNGo or UCSC type stroller the other day! It was the strangest thing(IMO)! I didn't get a good look, but it was not a full feature stroller and it was not an infant carrier/carseat. It looked most like a UCSC and a Roundabout! or something similar in size to the RA. FWIW, the carseat was facing forward. I was down by the San Juan Capistrano Mission, so she could have been a tourist...

Rose
    mom 2 Katie (32 months)
    & Jack (16 months)

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Could you be thinking of the Sit n Stroll?

http://www.safelinekids.com/skprodsns.asp

It sounds a bit like what you are describing, but it is far from lightweight, and I don't think it is the best car seat. It is supposed to be very useful for travelers, but I suspect it is more hassle than it is worth for everyday use. Plus, I would worry about getting a good installation - many people get their car seats installed by car seat techs, and wouldn't budge them for the world. Once it is secure, you want to leave it there as long as possible.

I know it is daunting to realise the days of transporting sleeping kids is over, but kids learn to stay asleep when you move them. I was petrified the first time I had to move my son out of his car seat, but after a while, it became so commonplace and now he doesn't wake up when we put him in the crib (we still haven't mastered the stroller transfer, but that is because he sleeps better on his tummy at 2 years old).

Marina

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014