Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default "Adventures in Strollerland, Dazed and Bedazzled in Las Vegas"

Can you imagine, can you dream....

Of a mythical Kingdom full of glitter and lights, where hundreds of futuristic prams, pushchairs and buggies are clustered in a great huge hall, guarded and tended by white kinights and ladies who have actually birthed those which are the objects of our greatest fantasies and deepest desires....

It's a land that exists, yet now only in my memory. For just as we speak, the final remains are being bagged and packed and swept away...

But it was here I ventured, had the supreme and esteemed honor to visit, at the behest of the Most Dignified, Lovely, Gracious and Elegant, Denise and Alan Fields.

So come along with me, to this magical place, come along with me, as we journey to.....

DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH!!!!!!!

THE 2004 STROLLER ROLL-OUT!!!!!! "ADVENTURES IN STROLLERLAND CONTINUES IN LAS VEGAS"!!!!!! Chapter 13, Part One. 'The Italian Big 3."

The first thing as you enter the door, is this long tall escalator, that climbs to the heavens. Stroller heaven, that is. So tall it was dizzying. But climb it I must, to enter this wondrous Land of the 2004's.

MY GOSH it is BIG! And Grand! And AMAZING! And AWESOME!

Greeting me at the door, I find the most Elegant and Gracious and Lovely and Dignified Alan and Denise Fields, who are to be my guides through this huge and confusing place, the Land of the 2004's.

First, we must pay homage to the High King of this Land, a land in which many kings preside. But this particular ruler has established himself as truly a leader amongst all stroller kingdoms, a man who has touched many lives with his Midas touch, the CEO of Peg Perego himself, Mr. Lucio Perego.

We enter the inner sanctum, AKA the Peg "Suite. " Yes, a $400-million dollar a year company merits a suite. With food and drinks and family and fun. And LOADS of lovely strollers. And REAL LIVE Peregos! Yes, they are STILL a family business, and many members were there to help.

They are lovely. And charming. And wearing beautifully tailored, ahem, Italian suits. And SMART. No figureheads here. They can tell you in detail to the nth degree every tiny change made to the 2004 line. And there are many. Much that you asked for. Bigger baskets. Better canopies. More padding, more reclines. New colors. The reintroduction of the chrome frame pram. New Duette and Triplette. Exact miniatures for dolls. And in response to your questions, Mr. Perego promised to continue to add rear footboards wherever possible. Speaking of which....

Duh duh duh duh duh duh dhu!!!!!!!! The Strollerqueen award for the *Show-stopper of all show stoppers* --the DINAMICO! The first of it's kind, leave it to Peg. A SELF-PROPELLED ATALNTICO! Yes, we've heard the jokes that the only thing easier to push than a Mountain Buggy would be a stroller that pushes itself. Well, THIS one actually does. And this baby is fast fast. Maybe too fast. Maybe I should have learned to stop it. Maybe I should have pointed it away from the President of the company.

Here is this elegant, charming man, in this exquisitely hand-tailored suit, standing against the wall, hands clasped behing him, surverying the crowd.

Here comes me, trying to control this wondrous creation that is out of control. As it is careening towards him.

Fortunately, he is kind and gracious and jumps out of the way just in the nick of time.

ANyone that says Peg is dead is dead wrong. Not when they can produce a $700 stroller that pushes itself. It's basically an Atlantico with an engine, and a large rear footboard for an older child to ride on.

Amy and Pamela, who will be the first on your block to buy one???

Let me say that I was ASTOUNDED by the time spent by all these great stroller leaders themselves, who were gracious enough to take the time to answer each and every one of your questions. Yes, I took them with me as promised, and yes I asked. Some of the answers are jumbled around in my head a bit, but yes, I asked. And most were answered.

Can I say that in my next life I want to be Italian? Not only do they
    do everything right. They enjoy life. WHich leads me to the winner of the Strollerqueen award #2. *For the most engaging, delightful, and congenial leader of this land*, Mr. Luca Tomasi, President of Inglesina.

He and his partner, Stellario D' Urso, are sincerely interested in the desires of the American market, which happen to be different from UK and Europe. Take cupholders, for example. They were genuinely perplexed, and scratched their heads as they pondered this question. "But why would you need it?" They asked. "And which one is more important, the cupholder for the baby, or for the parent?"

Due to these desires, they have produced a MAJOR improvement, which will thrill Zippy fans--the canopy now reaches down to the napper bar!
    They have also added mesh inserts and more padding. In response to another question, they will consider adding more reflective material to other models, in addition to the Magnum.

But BEST of all, for all of you who have asked--DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH!!!!!!!!! Strollerqueen award #3, *Most needed product*. A LIGHTWEIGHT UMBRELLA SBS! NARROW ENOUGH TO FIT THROUGH DOORS, YET SEAT WIDE ENOUGH FOR BIG KIDS! Weighs 22 pounds, is 29 " wide. Not fully reclining, however, therefore not suitable for newborns. It is basically two Swifts stuck together, and will be priced quite reasonably.

They also plan to introduce a new "Surprise" stroller, TBA in January. Loved these guys!

On to Strollerqueen award #4--*Biggest disappointment.* Well, for me, anyway. Chicco has discontinued my beloved 2002, WAAAAAHHHHH! All of the strollers they are currently marketing in the US are Asian made, including their big wheel models, London, Caddy, and Ponee. They are working on a carseat that will meet US standards. ANd will introduce it into the US as part of a travel system, with a redesigned 2002.

Next, The most astonishing strollers to be introduced to the US market since Mountain Buggy! The biggest dud! Who was the shining star; who's on the dark side of the moon. As "Adventures in Strollerland, Dazed and Bedazzled in Las Vegas" continues......

ameelo Guest

Default Uhm...Janet. Are you seriously going to keep us in such suspense?!?

LOL. It sounds as though you had a GREAT time. How did the Es react when you first pulled out your lists of questions? Did you actually just take the post printouts? OMG. Totally dying if you did. I bet they were thinking..."Americans!" LOL. Thank goodness they were gracious. I just think they were just dying inside but too good mannered to let on. LOL.

And totally LOL about our cupholder desire. LOL. And that Peg cupholder doesn't quite do the trick but at least they tried! LOL. Glad to hear that good'ole Perego still has some tricks up his sleeve.

As for Chicco. What are they thinking? Wahh. I just got my Chicco and am already starting to love it. Its like the Peg I always wish I had had.

Did you get to enjoy Vegas at all? Party at the Voodoo Lounge? LOL. I was just there four days before you for another convention...since I live in Reno and work in gaming. LOL. Hope you filled our coffers a bit while you were there.

Thanks for the first (13th) install. I am hoping that you're already working on the next!

Amee

Default RE: Uhm...Janet. Are you seriously going to keep us in such suspense?!?

I am indeed, busy working on the next installment. SOrry to keep you in suspense. But I have such limited time these days, and there wwas so much to see, and so much to tell.

And YES! COULD YOU DIE! I DID pull out all the print outs! No one quite knew what to make of it. But they answered, nonethess. Well, most anyway.

I actually pseudo cried on the shoulder of the CHicco Prez, when he said the 2002 was discontinued. I was like "NOOOOOOOO! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS!!!!!!" There was some distribution problem, but he said the story would take 2 hours to tell. Glad you're finally liking it. And be REALLY glad you got your PiXXel, as you'll see in an upcoming chapter.

No partying in Vegas for me. Are you kidding? This show was all the party I needed! But DH and the kids got to enjoy the pool, and Circus Circus.

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Uhm...Janet. Are you seriously going to keep us in such suspense?!?

Wow, I am beyond jealous of your stroller convention adventure - I think it would be heaven!!! I, too, am a big Peg Perego fan - I first had a Pliko Sherpa Bubble and now I have a P3 Classico that I love. The footboard is invaluable (just ask 5 year-old dd!). Can't wait to hear the rest of your adventures!
    -Lauren

brewgirl523 Guest

Default RE: Can't wait for more!

Thanks for the first installment! I'm so excited to hear all about your adventures that I decided it was time to come out of lurking and pay hommage to the wise and knowing strollerqueen! I told my husband that you were going to Vegas last week and he's been asking every day since if you've started posting your reviews. I think he's hooked, LOL!

Now the real test will be to see if I can hold off until the 2004s are released in the spring! At the rate my daughter is growing she'll be out of the snap n go in the next month. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy now and then again later!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures!

Default Janet, absolutely fastastic story, I could see myself going up the escalator...*sigh*

Can't wait for more, did they let you take pictures?

Trin

Default RE: Janet, absolutely fastastic story, I could see myself going up the escalator...*sigh*

Hi folks! Yes, we walked around the show with StrollerQueen and took pictures of the new models.

We will combine StrollerQueen's comments with those of our own, add the pictures and then post it on our web page in the "2004 update." We hope that will be ready later in October!

Alan & Denise Fields
    authors, BABY BARGAINS

TrinaCliff Guest

Default Ok, Janet...I'm dying to hear more!!!

I was absolutely rolling on the floor picturing you "careening" towards the President of the company...oh my...my sides hurt from laughing!! I wish there was a way to turn your Adventures of Strollerland into a movie! hahaha!!! That would be one funny flick!

I can't wait to hear what comes next...I'm dying to hear if Teutonia was there and if they are doing anything exciting. They probably weren't there considering that they don't tend to care about we poor measly Americans over here.

When will we be able to see pic's of these new up-and-coming strollers?? Like the double Swift? Just wondering...as if I need another stroller!!!!

Take care! Keep 'em coming!!! We love them!
    Kristen

ywolf Guest

Default RE:

I've been checking the message boards everyday to hear about your trip. Sounds like a true adventure so far. Did you find out anything new about the Mountain Buggy? Is there any new all terrains - with a swivel wheel, out there that are easy to fold and light weight? I need to purchase something soon. My son is 5 months 27 inches and 20 lbs., so I can use the snap and go anymore.

Thankyou.

Default RE:

Absolutely. New Mountain Buggy, new lightweight swivel wheel joggers. Keep reading, LOL!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast