goldbry Guest

Default Carpal tunnel sufferers, help? Best stroller? Handlebar extender?

Hello,

My search for a new stroller has a complication. . . I have always had bad wrists (pregnancy really exacerbated the CTS-- numb hands for three months!) and now I'm finding that my huge Zooper Boogie is starting to cause a flareup. I think it's the weight; as DD gets heavier, the already heavy Zooper gets harder to push -- and all of the force is concentrated on my wrists. An advantage of the Boogie is that I can try to find the most neutral angle for the handlebar, which is adjustable. But the weight is too much. I've looked at everything -- from Arias and Combis (rickety, blech) to P3s and Zippys. I like the Zippy the best. But the handlebars aren't adjustable. Do I have to go with the P3 for the handles? Does anyone with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome have a stroller that seems to cause the least stress on the wrists?

And has anyone seen these handlebar extenders? They attach on to umbrella stroller handles and are supposed to make them one-hand pushable as well as giving the optimum angle.

Thanks!

JodiM Guest

Default RE: Carpal tunnel sufferers, help? Best stroller? Handlebar extender?

A friend of mine has Carpal tunnel, and she uses a Mac (Techno I think?) and a Valco Runabout, and does well with both.
    The Runabout is primarily for walks around town though, so there's no lifting, etc.

The mac is her car stroller.

dules Guest

Check out the Mountain Buggy single too. I got it after a Zooper Zydeco and it feels light as a feather in comparison. Steering is incredible.

I agree with Jodi re the Techno, or maybe the Zippy for the car, with its one handed fold?

Best,
    Mary

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also have carpal tunnel (mild, although it doesn't always seem like it!). Anyway, here is my list of strollers I have/had and whether they bothered me:

Zooper Zstreet - bothered
    2004 MBUS - bothered a little (non-adjustable handle)
    2003 P3 - no problem (adjustable handles at highest)
    Quinny Zapp - no problem (non-adjustable)
    Peg Atlantico - no problem (adjustable)
    Emma Viking - bothered a little (non-adjustable)
    Mac Vogue - no problem (non-adjustable, but high handle height)
    Mac Quest - bothered a little (non-adjustable)

For me, it seems that the higher the handle, the easier it was on my wrists.

Good luck!

H-
    Heather
    dd 3/98
    ds 8/04
    and surprise! edd 11/05

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

See if you can find a Chicco 2002. It has the features of a P3, but the handles rotate 360 degrees, so you can pick the most comfortable position. It also steers like a dream - so smooth and easy!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

goldbry Guest

Thanks to all!