psych is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Any runners out there? Please read, I have stroller questions for you.

My DH is an avid runner. He is currently training for a marathon and is running about 13 miles on Saturdays, which will be increasing slightly every weekend.

I thought a running stroller would be a good Father's Day gift for him, but now I have doubts whether he will actually be able to really run with my DS.

1. Which running stroller do you have and would you recommend it? What do you like/dislike about it?

2. How long does your child sit in the stroller while running? Can he/she sit for two hours OK, or do you need to stop?

3. Is this suitable for a 6-month old?

Thanks!

Default RE: Any runners out there? Please read, I have stroller questions for you.

My first suggestion is to check out joggingstroller.com They have a great selection of all the best joggers and have tools to help you figure out which one might be best for you.

We have a Dreamer and love it. It has a great sun hood which is good for my red heads. I have a friend with a Bob and she loves that.

I am not as serious a runner as your DH however, I do a 60-90 minute fitness class with my kids in the stroller and especially if you start them young (6 mo is good) then they will get used to it and be fine. My now 2.5 yr old wants out when we stop to stretch but when we are moving she is content to read a book or play with a toy or eat a snack. My little guy (8 mo) sleeps or just chills out.

Regarding age, I think once your child is 6 months- any jogger is suitable bc the child can sit up. Many models have reclines and both my kids were in reclined joggers by 2 months. Recline is also nice for naps while running. Some models don't recline tho, so I would make sure before you buy.

Good luck!
    Betsy

Splash Guest

Default RE: Any runners out there? Please read, I have stroller questions for you.

I have a Kelty double a a BabyJogger single...
    I have been putting the baby (now 23 months... two in THREE WEEKS! <gasp>) in it since she was about seven months old... never a problem, she normally falls asleep.
    I don't do thirteen miles on any day, but I have regularly gone for five miles or so with no complaints from the peanut gallery. And I have taken them in them to Sea World, Disney, etc many times and they have sat in them all day... 3,4,5 hours at a time... of course getting out to stretch a little and to play.
    Go for BabyJogger. They make the best. I love some things about my Kelty, and it is the one I use the most (since it is a double) but BJ is the gold standard. I have 20" wheels but have a friend with the 24" and she LOVES it.
    E

littlewilson Guest

I'm not a runner, but I have a few in my family, and I know that upper body mechanics (including arms) are an important part of a runner's form. I guess what I'm saying is that I can't see how a serious runner (like someone training for a marathon) could do it while pushing a stroller. If he were logging miles for exercise/enjoyment, then maybe the arm motion wouldn't be as big of an issue, but I'm just not sure if he'd really be comfortable pushing the stroller while training or doing other serious running. JMO, and again, I'm not a runner, so definitely take this with a grain of salt! Maybe it's a personal preference thing and some runners on the board can help shed more light.

I tried jogging with the kids, and HATED it. Maybe have him try even a block with whatever stroller you have (slowly) to see if he would even like it. If I had no choice at all I might take the kids with me, but I also might just quit, LOL. I also think he is going too far for a young baby - too much bumping for too long. I would also wait until at least one before such a long outing running, not neccessarily the length of time so much as the fact that this is a time when the baby won't see your dh, not like at a mall or park where a baby can stay for a few hours, but we always smile at the baby, etc. A serious runner would HATE to stop in the middle of a workout, it messes with everything! My kids would never sit still for it, but i'm sure just as many would enjoy it as they get older, maybe at that year mark when they really get that dad is pushing them, and they are not alone! But, if your dh takes some easy days and shorter runs this could be really fun and would get the baby ready for some longer runs, but IMO not on the really hard training days.

reidsmum Guest

I had the exact opposite. I loved running with my son, and ran 3-5 times a week. I was able to do some fairly serious running and training for shorter distances. But I know lots of people who have run with little ones while marathon training. I do agree that body mechanics are important, particularly for longer runs, and you should "test drive" whatever stroller you decide on.

Happy running!

Deb

dugan2b Guest

Default I trained for a marathon with my kids in a jogger...

I have a Dreamer Designs Ditto and LOOOOVE it. I did all of my runs up to 10 miles with the kids (long runs I did alone).

I love everything about the Dreamer for running. The canopies are awesome. Whatever you decide, it should have minimum 16" wheels, fixed front wheel, and a handbrake. Baby Jogger and B.O.B. both make nice joggers too.

Two hours was about the most my kids would sit in the jogger. (They were 1 and 3 when I was training.) Any longer and they would get bored and antsy. I would try and go out at naptime and they would sometimes doze off.

As long as the seats recline, any good jogger would be suitable for a 6 month old. But before running with DS, he needs to have excellent head control. Some say babies should be a year old before running with them.

Definitely spend the money and get a GOOD jogger. I have an InStep with 12" wheels and compared to the Dreamer it is a nightmare to run with. I would even recommend having your DH go with you to pick it out and letting him take the stroller for a test run with DS in the parking lot.

As for the body mechanics someone mentioned... yes, it is harder to run when you are pushing a jogger. But it can be done... and the bonus is that when you run alone after getting used to pushing the jogger, you feel much lighter and faster. (Well, technically, you ARE much lighter and faster, LOL)

HTH! :)

Katie

psych is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default RE: I trained for a marathon with my kids in a jogger...

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I think it is a good idea for my husband to take a light jog for an hour or so with our current stroller and if he wants a jogging stroller, to let him choose it by trying it out around the store (I can just imagine this!).

dugan2b Guest

Default RE: I trained for a marathon with my kids in a jogger...

Make sure they let him take it out of the store... strollers push a whole lot differently on a nice smooth tile floor than they do on pavement, over bumps, dirt, etc.!

:)

Katie