Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default If what you REALLY want is an E3 or Valco...

...but what you can afford is-- not those, what would you get for a double stroller for a toddler and newborn?

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    New baby coming in October!
    (Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...ethyst_36m.gif
    Nursed for three years!

JodiM Guest

Default RE: If what you REALLY want is an E3 or Valco...

Are you wanting a second seat type stroller, tandem or side-by-side?

I'd love a second seat, but barring that, I think my preference would be a side by side.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

Maya Angelou
    Nursed for three years!

Rachel,
    A couple of other questions that will help people give you some recommendations.

1.)What is the price range that you are looking at?
    2.)Is the weight of the stroller going to be a issue?
    3.)Are you planning to mainly use this outdoors, indoors or as a do it all stroller.

The price of the Zooper Tango (it is a side by side)is really good right now and it comes with a lot of accessories. The downside is that it is heavy (30 lbs). Also if you can find a good condition Maclaren Vogue Duette on Swap that would be a good choice. The seats are the biggest of the Maclaren's and it can recline for a newborn. But a lot of this depends of how you plan to use the stroller.

By the way congratulations..

Sandy
    mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
    & Marisa Mia 4/23/05

Have you looked on Swap? I know there's at least one E3v2 there.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Yeah, but still almost $500. Grr. I don't really know my price range. I want to avoid buying five strollers the way I did for a single, though-- it took me eons to find something that worked well for us. (Ultimately, we wound up with a P3.) I use strollers mostly indoors, but I live in Boston and the sidewalks can be iffy, so I need wheels that can handle that. I had a Mac at one point and hated it, so I'm not likely to go that route again. My priorities are easy steering and child comfort, and we need a snack tray. I'd love to not have it be too enormous, because it needs to fit in the trunk of my Volvo 850.

I have not given up on my E3 dreams. I do think that's the best possible choice for us. But in case things stay tight, I need a really good second option.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

Maya Angelou
    Nursed for three years!

JodiM Guest

If you need it for outdoor use, as well as indoor, I would say probably the Zooper Tango- as long as you don't have to lift it in and out alot.

Is it possible to just use your P3 and sling baby for awhile, until you can get the funds to buy the double you really want?

Another option is the Inglesina Twin Swift or Maclaren Twin Traveller= but they just don't compare to the Valco.

I would say hang in there for a bit if you can wait. The new shipments of e3s are going to arrive in the next few weeks and I am sure there are going to be folks who ordered one and ended up buying something else in the meantime or who decide the e3 isnt for them and then want to sell it for a decent price.

We love our e3 and highly recommend it so I would say it is worth the wait!
    HTH
    Betsy

Rachel:

I think you should wait to get the E3 and in the meantime, use the P3 with or without a sling. Your kiddos will be almost 3 1/2 years apart and mine are a little over 2 1/2 years apart. We have used a double maybe 5 times for walks and never for routine errands. My older DD has learned to ride on the footboard on the P3 (which is why I got it), and she can even do it when the seat is in second to full recline position. Maybe she can even do it in full recline position. It's not easy, but she has learned.

I was using public transportation the first few weeks my new baby was here, and I put her in the Bjorn and pushed my older daughter. It was tiring, but doable. But pushing a double can be tiring too (at least the Graco tandem I have and the Maclaren side-by-side).

Another option is see if you can borrow a double from someone and see how it works for you. The common Graco tandems will usually take an infant car seat (I think). I borrowed a Graco tandem for the early infant phase and then bought a Mac side by side, but it turns out I am not really using either.

Others on these boards have liked the Aria Twin (which most people like better than the single Aria) and the Combi Twin Savvy, but the COmbi has pretty narrow seats. Only a few people have bought the Zooper Tango, to my knowledge, maybe because it's heavy and unavailable in most brick and mortar stores, so I would research that one well before plunging.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9