cynsteele Guest

Default Running Stroller

I've been reading these messages boards and have found you all so helpful. I've decided on the Peg Perego P3 for my main stroller, and am researching jogging strollers.

I used to hate running, but then started to run as I lost weight and just kept going for higher mileage. I lost 43 pounds, and I did my first marathon in February. Haven't really run too much since pregnant, it feels uncomfortable.

I'm due February 1, but live in Florida where I can run outside all year, which made training nice and hopefully will make getting back in shape after baby easier.

From what I have read, the BOB strollers seem to be a great option. I know you can't run with an infant, so I could wait until after to do the jogging stroller research, except it would be nice to have it picked out in case people pool together to get me one for a present as they have hinted!!! But I do see that the BOB strollers have an infant seat attachement - not sure if this means it's okay to run with then?

I found the store http://www.arunningstroller.com/ online, and see that it's in my area, so maybe my best bet is to go in there and get some live help! But I thought I'd ask since you all to see if anyone has any running/jogging experience with strollers.

Thanks!
    Cynthia
    EDD 2/1/06

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Running Stroller

People love the lady from A Running Stroller. Definitely give her a call, I don't think she keeps regular "store hours" b/c she does a lot of internet business - I could be wrong on that though.

I'm NOT a runner, but I do have a BOB fixed wheel (well, my hubby does). Its a wonderful stroller. Excellent canopy, well built, suspension. BUT (ya knew there was one, right?), it has a very tall and non-adjustable handlebar. If you are average to tall, its probably fine. But, I'm only 5'2" and its a bear to turn. I just do not have the leverage to pop the wheel off the ground and turn it.

Since you will be logging a lot of miles with a jog stroller, I'd highly suggest checking them out in person to ensure you really really like it. BOB, Baby Jogger, Dreamer Design, and Kool Stride are the ones I hear good things about. Check out www.joggingstroller.com too. Great reviews.

re: the infant seat attachment, I'd skip it for a jog stroller. Seems like a pain to lug such a big stroller just to put a car seat into it. ;-) It does not make it safe to jog with a newborn, in fact the recent recommendation is to actually minimize car seat time, so if a newborn will be "strolling" a lot, a stroller that reclines fully is best vs. clicking in a car seat for extended periods.

I think the recommendation is 6 months minumim before they have the head control to handle the jarring of riding in a jog stroller??

Have you checked out the strollerSWAP yahoo group? I know there are some runners over there, they could help w/ your questions. The link is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/.

HTH a bit,
    kelly

cynsteele Guest

Thanks for your reply! I'll call A Running Stroller and see if I can go over there and try some out. I'm 5'5" so maybe the BOB will be an okay height for me. I rememberd that a friend has one, and she and her husband run, so I've sent her an email as well.

Just a note - I'm not planning to use the infant seat in the P3 except in cases where it makes sense, i.e., don't want to wake the baby up and just want to go in somewhere for a quick errand... Before I read about not keeping them in the seats too long I wondered what the fascination with travel systems was - it didn't seem like my style (too big and bulky for one).

So good point about using it for jogging!

Thanks for the link on the yahoo group, I have seen it referenced here but wasn't sure how to find it.

This is really fun - I love researching everything and it's fun to have some new projects!

Cynthia

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yeah, I'd totally use the infant seat with the P3 when it makes sense. I'd personally never find the need to use it with a jog stroller so I'd save the cash for something more fun. ;-)

Hopefully you can test some out, I guess you'll need a weight to put in the seat! At 5'5", you might be *just* tall enough for a BOB. I think they must be sized for the average man, definitely not for the below-average woman! LOL. Its really a nice stroller though, as are the other brands I mentioned.

Good luck!
    kelly

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would not run with a baby less than 1 year or so but very light jogging from 6-7 months seems fine. After not running for awhile it will take some walking/jogging to ease back anyway! So feel free to get the stroller as a shower present at then use it for baby soothing walks.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.