Thread: Outlet Plugs

tucker Guest

Default Outlet Plugs

I've been reading the message boards to get an idea of what all I need to do and where to purchase baby proofing items. The one thing that stands out as I read everyone's advice is that outlet plugs are worthless. Am I missing something? My husband & I have to use a screwdriver or knife or something to get these things out of the outlets! Neither one of us can get them out just using a fingernail. How are kids getting these out of the plugs?

suzska Guest

Default RE: Outlet Plugs

Have you tried the covers that replace the plate over the outlet and then you just slide the thing over when you put in the plug? I haven't. But I've been meaning to get a few of them. They're suppose to work really well. But you have to be careful if you have non-grounded outlets (like in an older house), because not all of them are made for grounded and/or non-grounded outlets. When we moved in we had some re-wiring done, so we have both types since we didn't want to completely re-wire the house. We don't plug and unplug things very often, so for now the little plastic covers have been fine. I agree they can be difficult. At least the ones I have (Gerber, I think). Some of the other brands (and the ancient ones my parents have left over from when we were kids) might be a little easier, but then I don't want that. Be careful using those screwdrivers and knives--that's why the covers are on there in the first place, so "junior" doesn't put one in there!

myllam Guest

Hi,

What we did was cover all the outlets with plugs just
    so the baby would be safe. Then we bought a couple of the sliding
    plates and placed them on the outlets we use the most just to
    see how useful they actually are and how well they actually work.

We found that after just a couple of weeks, we definitely plan to switch all our plugs to the ones that have the sliding plates. For us, it wasn't that our baby was figuring out how to get the plugs out, but that in the long run it is more convenient for us and will be safer for our son.

1. like you said, the plugs are hard to get out
    2. where do you put the plugs when you are using the outlet so
    your baby cannot find them to try and eat them?
    3. finally, and the main reason, a few times we've had
    visitors use the outlets and forget to put the plugs back in,
    not very childproof if the thing isn't in there :-(

Anyways, hope this helps.

Monica (mom to 9 month old Brian).

do you know which brand of sliding covers are good? i have the outlet covers (gerber) which i think are hard to get out, but like you said, DH and family forget to put the plugs back in! i find them on the floor.... thanks!

myllam Guest

Hi,

The only one I tried is the Gerber brand. I like the fact that there is a tab to push to get the slide over. I'm just hoping my son doesn't figure out how to push the tab when he gets older and stronger :-)

Other brands I have heard about but have not tried are kidco and mommy's helper. And the baby bargain's book had a good suggestion of using the plain plates over outlets you definitely will not be using.

The Gerber plate I bought at the local baby store to try was $3.50. But when I called Gerber to find an online store, they told me they sell them direct for $2 each.

http://www.gerber.com/contactus/contactus.asp

A picture of the product:

http://www.netgrocer.com/default.cfm?s=Gerber under baby care, safety products, spring-loaded outlet plate.

tucker Guest

Thanks Monica. I thought maybe I was really missing something here! I can't imagine baby getting them out, EVER, but I can definitely see others taking them out and leaving them lying around for baby to choke on...