Default Evenflo Secure Solutions gate - installation/Walk thru gate

I bought this gate based on recommendations from this site. We have baseboards where we want to install it (opening to kitchen), and DH said he couldn't install it per the instructions (shouldnt be installed higher than 2-3" from floor, plus the baseboards make the walls uneven). Anyone ever had this problem, and have a solution? We have the Evenflo roll up mesh gate in another part of the downstairs (odd opening, couldn't talk DH into splurging for a huge gate for our 70" opening to living room ugh :-( ) I really wanted a gate in the kitchen that I could walk through rather than take off.
    Thanks!
    Thanks!

luvbeinmama Guest

Default RE: Evenflo Secure Solutions gate - installation/Walk thru gate

I had the same problem, but fortunately, right where I wanted to install it, the baseboard was cracked (it was only a few inches of wall width at that point too) which allowed me to just remove the top portion of my 4" wide base board and install the gate. I actually do have it installed a little too high, but that hasn't yet been a problem. The only solution I can think of is to either install smaller (shorter) base boards, or cut a section out to fit the hardware. I think I noted in my earlier recommendation of this gate that tall base boards do get in the way.

luvbeinmama Guest

Oops! Looks like I mentioned the baseboard problem in another post, the one right above yours. Sorry!

suzska Guest

I have heard of people that have attached a strip of wood (the thickness of the baseboard, I assume) vertically above the baseboard, and then attached the gate to this. I believe KidCo makes just such an "installation kit," but you could just as easily go to your home improvement store and buy what you need. I think BabyCatalog sells the kits if you want to see what I'm talking about.

KathyO Guest

This is exactly what we did (the plain strip of wood from the hardware store, not the full kit). Works fine.

KathyO

ct Guest

We live in an old home with tons of woodwork (including baseboards) that we didn't want to damage by drilling holes for gate installation. Have you looked at The First Years Hands Free Gate? This is not permanently mounted to the walls, but rather tension mounted with rubber padded screws, allowing for uneven walls/openings. I use one by my kitchen and the hands free feature is great (you just step on a pedal and move the gate open with your knee, then kick it shut when you're through) plus The First Years has a lifetime guarantee on their products and are wonderful to deal with.

ct