Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default So, what are you doing wrong in the raising of your child??

Apparently, I am preventing him from ever getting over his cold by freezing him and am denying him real fun by discouraging an overabundance of toys and not putting batteries into the obnoxious Bat&Wobble ball (one of six Thanksgiving gifts.)

Sigh. Why is it my mother has to make me feel like a bad mom? I need to learn to just say, "yes you are absolutely right" and then go back to my normal, perfectly adequate parenting when i get home.

On the slightly-weird plus side, my 75 year old grandfather thought it was perfectly normal that we plan to BF, or "be on the breast," until 1 1/2 years and was fascinated by my description of breast pumps. Way to be progressive, Papa.

shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: So, what are you doing wrong in the raising of your child??

Because everything that you plan to do differently from what she DID or would DO, is saying you don't think she did a good job as a parent or is doing a good job as a grandparent.

Right, mamas?

LOL, anyway, sorry your holiday was tainted and how wonderful that your grandfather is on your "side!"

Shan - Your Papa rocks! That was too funny that he thought breast pumps were neato.

Ignore your mother, but you know that. You know you are an awesome mommy.

Sigh...only one more "big" holiday to go so you don't have to worry about it for another month! :)
    Mom to R and R

mharling Guest

> I need to learn to just say, "yes you are absolutely right" and then go back to my normal, perfectly adequate parenting when i get home.

I need to learn that too!! My mom doesn't understand why I refuse to breastfeed ds in a moving car.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
    http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i...21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Your mom & my dad. Dad doesn't understand why I don't just get in the backseat, pull DS out of his seat & go for it as we hurtle down the freeway at 70 mph. "Your mom did it with you." Sigh...

He's also pushing for Payton to CIO, and I'm so not ready to make that choice. He's not even 3 months yet-- I *can't* spoil him!
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

elvisfan Guest

My sin is a game my 23 month old and I play called "pretty". I pretend to put a little makeup on her and my mil is outraged. Isabella loves it,though.

lizamann Guest

According to my MIL, I am starving my baby because I don't make enough milk. That's why she's "fussy all the time" and so small. MIL called up the other day and talked for 10 minutes about how much she loves Nora and thinks about her all the time and worries that she's hungry. Then - get this - 10 minutes into the conversation she says, "Oh, your SIL just had her baby an hour ago. It's a girl!" What?!?!? I've been waiting for that news for weeks now, and she prefaces it with a lecture! Oh well - the good news took away any bitter feelings I was having.

llcoddington Guest

I haven't gone through this yet, as I am still pregnant with first baby, but I remember my mom being told all she was doing wrong when my brothers and I were growing up. For example, we were deprived children because my mom fed us "health food." We were also socially deprived because we weren't taught that Santa comes down the chimney with our presents! (We just thought Santa was a jolly old man at the mall.) I hope my mom remembers all she went through when we were kids and refrains from telling me what I do "wrong"!

Lana

jojo2324 Guest

LOL, all things are covered when you've got TWO moms!! My bio mom says that I spoil him, am turning him into a picky eater, and that he will never be "tough" if I continue along this route. Oh, also that my hypochondriac ways are rubbing off on him, and that "he's not really sick, you're making it up."

My stepmom, who is a VERY laidback parent, admonishes me for going to the ped to get medical advice (or vaccines, or antibiotics), or using Skippy peanut butter, or anything some might consider "normal."

Then there are my ILs, who don't say anything, but I can tell they're thinking I'm lacking somehow!

Yep, just can't win over here! :D

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yesterday I got my first "so are you going to start weaning soon?" comment from none other than my very own mother! Of course I told her no, we were going to try for at least a year since that's the recommended minimum.

I swear my mom seems to expect DD to be an exact repeat of how I was when I was a baby. She's constantly doing things like asking how DD's doing at eating solids (perfectly fine) and then telling me how horrible of an eater I was. Or I'll mention some comment someone in a store made about DD and she always says "at least they could tell she was a girl...people always thought you were a boy." She doesn't seem happy that I'm not having to go through the same things she did, instead it's more of a disappointed "oh, well, this is what I HAD to go through with you..." Not that I'm expecting her to really be happy, but you'd think I was the baby from hell the way she makes it sound sometimes! Perhaps she was really hoping for one of those "just wait till you have kids of your own" situations?

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast