Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mik8 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default RE: Is a $75 gift exchange too much for an unemployed family??

Good friends don't do this kind of crap to you. Their insensitivity should make you think twice now of how "genuine" their frienship are with you. And yes, I think $75 is on the steep side especially considering your situation at this time. You do have the right to be upset but think of your family first.

I am not a confrontational person, but it would be hard for me not to question their friendship when a material gift seems to be more important than time spent together. Is that not what giving up the golf to buy a gift would be?

parkersmama Guest

That's outrageous! Like someone else mentioned, we don't spend $75 on most of our family members! Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely love to spend that much but going into the poorhouse for Christmas gifts isn't my idea of a good Christmas. I think they were very rude to be so pushy about it and you should definitely stand your ground. If you're still feeling friendly to them at all, you could make something small (cookies? soup mix?) to give to each couple as a token. If not, just remind yourselves that your financial health is more important than any friendships and that true friends will understand the demands of lean times!

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That's ridiculous and totally offensive. Copy the link to this thread and send it to them. Maybe they'll be inspired to reexamine their priorities!

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's ridiculous, I've never heard of a gift exchange with such a high price tag. That totally misses the point, IMO. Sorry you and your hubby are in that situation (both unemployed AND with a friend who is not understanding).

barbarhow Guest

>
    >I'm conflicted because we technically *could* afford the exchange
    >
    Aaahhhh.....as my father would always say-yes we can PAY for it but we cannot AFFORD it. The old fine line. I totally agree with the above posters. You are right-$75 is outrageous. How inconsiderate of them to not be understanding of your circumstances.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Thanks for the support everyone. Well, it turns out that we're doing the exchange after all. Apparently one other couple in the group thought $75 was too high and so now they're making it $50. DH was asked if he wanted to participate with the lower limit and he said yes (without checking with me). I really don't want to participate at all just out of principle, but I've had enough of all this drama so I'm going to grin and bear it. It's just sad that it had to take someone else in the group wanting to drop out before they would lower the limit! The ironic part is that the couple whose name we ended up with is the one that wrote DH that email. Hmm, now what to get them?! }(

Sarah1 Guest

I'd buy them something totally bizarre and out of left field...how 'bout some racy videos? That would cause quite a stir! Maybe next year (gasp!) you wouldn't be invited to exchange gifts! Hahahahahahaha!

P.S. I apologize in advance if this offends anyone...I couldn't help myself.

pritchettzoo Guest

How about:
    http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=115631
    http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=149993
    http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=149573

or 30 bags of M&Ms (they're 3 for $5 at Target this week)... I joked with DH that we were going to get people we had no idea what to get M&Ms in quanities based on what we would spend on them...

Oooh--are you steamed at DH? When will they learn? Men! Maybe you'll have a bad "cold" and have to avoid the get-together...

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

elvisfan Guest

>Thanks for the support everyone. Well, it turns out that
    >we're doing the exchange after all. Apparently one other
    >couple in the group thought $75 was too high and so now
    >they're making it $50. DH was asked if he wanted to
    >participate with the lower limit and he said yes (without
    >checking with me). I really don't want to participate at all
    >just out of principle, but I've had enough of all this drama
    >so I'm going to grin and bear it. It's just sad that it had
    >to take someone else in the group wanting to drop out before
    >they would lower the limit! The ironic part is that the
    >couple whose name we ended up with is the one that wrote DH
    >that email. Hmm, now what to get them?! }(