flagger Guest

Default My kingdom for barrettes that stay in place

Ok I am not usually paranoid about anything, but can SOMEONE please make hair barrettes that stay in place? Cocoa's hair has become so long that I need to use them to keep her hair out of her face. (We are not going to get it cut until after she is a year).

I am soooo paranoid that this little ones are gonna be swallowed and choke her because I found one in the carseat.

mik8 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default RE: My kingdom for barrettes that stay in place

I hear 'ya, Flagger. I sooo badly wanted to put barrettes on my Sofia's hair (although I'm sure her hair is not as long as Cocoa's) but always scared to end up doing a Heimlich maneuver!

I have the same issue. I won't use the barrettes or the elastics, I just know she will put them in her mouth. Usually I just let her hair hang. But when I need to keep it off her face, for eating or when she has a runny nose (ewwwww) I found some stretchy headbands that work. I got some at H&M and some at Claire's in the mall.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

peanut4us Guest

If you use the little baby elastics, then a barrette, it works like a charm. Just make sure to get the elastic wrapped tightly so that it doesn't come loose. We've never had that happen, yet :) Also, if you do get the elastics, buy something like a 250 piece pack. They tend to break... Or i tend to break them while getting them out of Sara's hair. Sometimes the choice is to pull her hair or break the elastic :)

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

can i ditto that for adults?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon [color:brown]of the baby-fine hair[/color]
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

nitaghei Guest

I have the opposite problem - it's really hard to find barettes that are big enough to hold ALL my hair!! Most of them give the ghost and snap after a couple of weeks.

Nita (who still has waaaaay too much hair)
    mom to Neel 01/05/03
    dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Torey Guest

I hear ya - DH wanted to avoid cutting DD's hair (he prefers the no bangs look), but we were both convinced she would choke on a barrette. So I just gave up and started trimming her bangs on a regular basis. It is actually pretty easy and then I just wet/comb them over several times a day. At this point even when I have tried barrettes she just pulls them out. Oh well, maybe the headbands would work. :)

celfsh Guest

Hear, hear! :)

celeste
    mom to olivia 9/25/02

here is a little trick for ya that I learned a long time ago....more then likely they are falling out because she doesnt have thick enough hair and its baby fine....glue a little piece of rubber band to the one side of the barrette, it makes it stay in place! just make sure its thin enough to be able to close, and that you can get the hair in still.

That and I like the fabric hair bands, not the elastic ones, they dont hurt the hair and dont break, and tend to stay in if you make them tight enough. Walmart has big packs of them for like $1.88 with a rainbow of colors in the infant section....if you dont know which ones Im talking about Id be happy to send you some, we have an entire kitchen canister filled with them and are always buying more.
    HTH

Same problem here...but I want to reassure all of you. A few months ago, we found a barrette in Leah's diaper mixed in with the poop. It went all the way through. Yes, I started screaming when I saw it, but quickly realized that if it went all the way through, then there was no harm done to her. Before that, I had no idea that she was "eating them," but now I am hypervigilant about watching her when she wears a barrette. She now knows that if she chooses to take it out, then she has to give it to me, instead of putting her it in her mouth.

And btw, we have also bought these - and they stay in hair wonderfully - just look at the video for the hairgripper... We won an auction for 10 bows for 9.99 They're so cute for dress up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18786

Aimee
    Mother to Leah 10/26/02