Default I appreciate the inlaws' help, but...

It was great that my inlaws could come and sit for DS (and sit an extra day when one of our sitters backed out). It really really was. DH and I couldn't have gone away if they didn't. It was the longest I'd ever been away from DS (4 days in Puerto Rico!). We've been away three days before, but he's never stayed three days with DH's parents. I knew they would spoil him and give him things he shouldn't have and watch a lot of TV...

But boy is the poor thing screwed up!

When we left there was hardly any juice left and I figured a weekend without juice was fine (DS usually has about 1/2 cup of V8 Fusion since he won't drink anything else but milk and he doesn't eat much—we figure at least he gets some nutrients there!). It looks like his grandparents must have gone to the store and bought a new one, which was very nice of them, but when we got home it's at least 75% empty. They were only here for three days! (another sitter was here the fourth). And hardly ANY of the milk is gone. There's no way he could have been drinking enough milk. Our normal sitter did change a couple of messy diapers and remarked on what his grandparents must have fed them since they were very different than normal!

And bedtime and naptime has been awful. DS hasn't cried at either of those in months and months and now he screams every time you put him down. I'm wondering if his grandparents just stayed with him until he fell asleep. After I finally got him down yesterday, he stayed in his crib for an extra hour by himself. I'm thinking he just needed some alone time because I'm also guessing his grandparents were with him almost 24/7!

Again, this is only a half-hearted bitch, because I'm really glad they could come. And I expected they would spoil him. And I've heard about kids taking awhile to get back to normal, it's just never happened before. I'm thinking three days might be DS's limit for us to be away (and things to be so different).

Anyway. It was nice to get away. And I think DS is on the road to being back to normal! Of course Thanksgiving and all the relatives being in for that isn't going to help. And the poor thing has been up past his bedtime for most of the last week and that's not helping either.

Debbie
    http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

Default RE: I appreciate the inlaws' help, but...

Yikes...I would feel the same way. I am so anal about Mia's schedule and her sleep...forget about it! If anyone messed with that I would crawl into a corner and cry.

Just think...by next week at this time, your ds will be back to "normal!"

Glad you enjoyed your time away. Sorry you had to come back to craziness.
    Ashley

DD 10/2005

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: I appreciate the inlaws' help, but...

DH & I went to Paris for 9 days in April, DS stayed with my parents (who live 5 mins from us and see him all the time) so they know his schedule and what I get nuts about (and are usually pretty respectful of my wishes) even so, it took about a week for him to come back around. I think the upheaval was a little too much for him, even though he was comfortable where he was and had a great time, EVERYTHING was dramatic for that first week we were back.

But ya know what - the trip was worth EVERY minute of the drama!