Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Why am I sad about moving?

I should be happier. We are doing this for lots of good reasons. We are getting more room. Everyone likes the house. I am sad for the old one. And I don't feel like doing any of the stuff that needs to be done right now, like getting the old one ready to sell. I am dreading seeing it at its best, the way I always wanted it to be, but could never seem to get it that way when we lived in it!

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

Default RE: Why am I sad about moving?

Pam, change is hard. You said you're doing it for good reasons, but that doesn't mean you can't be a little sad also. Your saying goodbye to all your memories... don't be so hard on yourself. It's ok if it's a little sad.
    Just think, one day you'll be so happy in your new house, thinking 'remember how sad I was to leave the old house.' This is how memories are made.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

I was really sad when we moved last year. We lived in old house for 4 years, it was the first house we bought, the house we brought DS home to, etc. When we moved it was looking so nice we had to remind ourselves why we would ever be leaving it.

Of course, here we are a year later in our new house and totally happy. I look back at pictures of the old house with fond memories, but it was time to move on to a bigger house with a better layout.

Don't feel bad about mourning the old house. It is a huge part of your life!

http://b3.lilypie.com/n20Cm5/.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev230pp___.png[/img][/url]

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm in the same boat. We're moving at the end of the month, and I'm finding myself more sad about leaving this house, than I am about happy for the new one!

Its a good move for many, many reasons. The foremost being that this house is 3.5 hours away from our employment. ;) We actually bought a small house near our employment and divide our time. It was hoped that we would find some work in both locations, but it hasn't panned out. So, we sold both houses and are buying one house (like normal people, ha ha).

But, I'm having a dreadful time of it right now. The house we're leaving is all dolled up and I just love it. The layout is perfect for us. The backyard is wonderful for the ages of my kids. I'm sad to "give up" on this area and admit defeat.

The new house is dreamy. But, I'm a little intimidated by it, honestly. I don't know why. The seller does have it decorated to the HILT (it was a show home, designed to draw people into the area) and I'm just overwhelmed I think. I'm worried it'll always feel like "her" or like a show house.

Our current house needed decor and paint changes STAT, so I started out of the gate imagining what we were going to change. How we were going to make it our home. The new house doesn't have that problem, but it creates a new "problem" in that I'm not imagining it to be ours. I'm not picturing us living there, rather, we're interloping in her design heaven. ;)

So, anyway, I feel your pain. It is a hard thing. I remember how excited I was for this house (our first), and I feel bad that I'm not feeling that for the new house, yet.

I really disliked a lot about our old house and I was still bittersweet about leaving. Like you, we finally redid our AWFUL kitchen and main bathroom, which we got to use all of 2 months. I finally did all the touch up painting I'd been meaning to get to as well as patching the walls. The house looked great, yet b/c it was on the market, I could not enjoy living in it. This was our first house. This was the house I brought DS home to. This was the house we solidified our sense of family in. It was sad. It was also a huge PITA to get ready for sale. I can totally relate to that feeling. Sorry you are sad.
    I will say, now that we are in settled in the new house I am sooooo happy we moved.
    Alaina
    Alex Feb '03
    and #2 in early summer '07

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I so understand!! When we sold our house up in the north burbs 2 years ago, I was happy to leave the area but sad to sell the house. It was the house where DH carried me over the threshold after our wedding. The house that DS1 came home to. And so many other memories. But you don't lose the memories; they are still there. We're so happy that we moved and just love our new house, plus it isn't a money pit like the last one and is so much more convenient to grandparents and my commuter train!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009