Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: A note to teacher

Don't even get me started. I teach Kindergarten and we don't even have time in our schedule (which I have zero control over) for coloring.

Ugh!
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

scoop22 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

you must have tons of patience.. good for you.

i dread sending ds to school. i will definitly be writing lots of letters.
    http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Please tell me you are kidding,,,,,,,,,,

MMEand1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was going to post a question regarding coloring, too! I hope you don't mind if I highjack for a minute...

My 4yo DS has no interest in coloring inside the lines. He just likes to scribble, usually with just one or two colors. Is this normal, or is he going to be the ax murderer/anarchist??

Thanks,
    Mariah P.

bunnisa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Candy, we're homeschooling, but this is my favorite coloring book (there's a series) and Matthew might like it:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...A240_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/First-Anti-Col...8166863&sr=8-1

What's up with the coloring in the lines obsession? I think it stifles creativity, too.

About what?
    Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was just going to suggest the same type of book - I started using these in my classroom 15 years ago (yes, I'm really old!) Hmmmm, I should go dig these out for DS!! I know one of the books I had used picture "starters" - the beginning of a picture was there, but the child completed it however he/she wanted. One I remember was a little cowboy sitting on a split rail fence so the child would add the background, scenery, animals, etc.

HTH,
    Linda

So I didn't go to kindergarten -- I was in a Montessori school until first grade. I missed the "coloring in the lines" lessons. Not that I didn't color; I had coloring books I loved (I remember coloring Queen Elizabeth's dresses, for instance). In junior high, we were painting sets, and somebody said to me contemptuously "Don't you know how to color in the lines? You outline it first, like this." We had to repaint all her trees, because they look an awful lot more like trees if you do it the sloppy way... But it worked nicely on the mushrooms. It still looks terrible if it's something you're going to see close up, though.

DD at just past three has suddenly developed an interest in coloring, occasionally. She's about as good at it as her friend H was at 2, but you can see that her aim was to color specific parts of the paper. (At 2, she wanted to color the WHOLE paper. We have video of the two of them. He is scientifically trying to color an illustration, one crayon at a time. She has a crayon in each hand and is clearly trying to fill the whole page with color as fast as possible.)

LOL!!!! I hate stressing coloring in the lines. And I teach kindergarten.

I loved coloring with my Grandma as a kid. She was an artist and NEVER gave me a coloring book. She would set up a still life. She would get out all the supplies (paints or crayons) and we would draw then color!!! It was fantastic!

And CONGRATS!!!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2