klb7 Guest

Default Seeking Chicago Catering Recommendations

My fiance and I are having a reception in Evanston, IL, and we are looking for a nice, but affordable caterer. Some that have been recommended include: Fritz and Zoe, Scandia, D'Masti, and Refined Dining. I am seeking any thoughts on these or others that might be good to use. Thanks!

HilarieA Guest

Default RE: Seeking Chicago Catering Recommendations

Hi. I'm in the same boat as you. Also in the Chicago area. I'm just in the beginning stages of my search, so I haven't run across any of the caterers that you mention, but wondered if you've heard anything about Blue Plate Catering? We're thinking about hosting our wedding and reception at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and I'm looking to find a couple of recommendations for Blue Plate before we book them. Thanks for any help you can give.

mike1 Guest

http://www.davidsbistro.com

These guys are doing my wedding in January.

Go eat at his place. Its good.

He doesnt nickle and dime you as he owns all the equipment and his servers are from his bistro so you dont pay the huge salaries.

tell him Mike with the January wedding sent you.

skepticbride Guest

I am having my wedding next year at a Chicago Park District site. Does anyone know of a site that has opinions about caterers on it? If you have used one of their approved vendors, I would sure appreciate knowing if you had a good experience or not.

Thank you,

skeptic bride

skepticbride Guest

I used Blue Plate. When I was an officer in my professional organization, we used them for a very small event once and they did a great job. At the time, they were also donating the leftover food to a shelter. So, we felt that not only did we have good food for our event but we did a good thing too. They are very large and well known. However, I have heard (and am having the experience) that they don't give much personalized service. They sent me a general package that I have to pick and choose from and then add it all up. Other caterers seem to be tailoring their proposal to my needs and budget. Have you heard of any other caterers around town? I have to use one that is approved by the Chicago Park District because we are getting married at the Columbus Park Refectory.

jcc813 Guest

>I am having my wedding next year at a Chicago Park District
    >site. Does anyone know of a site that has opinions about
    >caterers on it? If you have used one of their approved
    >vendors, I would sure appreciate knowing if you had a good
    >experience or not.
    >
    >Thank you,
    >
    >skeptic bride

Hi,

I realize it's been over 2 years since your post (and wedding), but I was wondering if you could tell me about your experience w/ the Columbus Park Refectory and working w/ CPD (and their preferred vendors) in general? I am considering either the refectory or the Garfield Park Conservatory as the site of our ceremony and reception.

Thanks!
    Janet