HI - I am in the process of looking for a caterer. I want to have a "cocktail party" sort of reception for 150 people - limited seating and lots of substantial hors d'ouerves. The first hour, light hors d'oeurves will be passed, for the following two hours, more substantial hors d'ouerves will be on food stations. I have gotten sample menus and quotes from three caterers. While their food ideas and costs have been relatively similar, their recommendations and/or requirements for the number of servers/bartenders/bussers are pretty different. For context, these helpers will not have to do much hands on with the guests - no drink orders - just keeping the food tables fresh and bussing dirty dishes. Here are the three possibilities from the three different caterers I have been in touch with:

-Two servers - cost is 18% of the food bill. Bartenders to be hired by me separately.

-Four servers - cost is 18% of food bill. Two bartenders for $150 each for the night provided by caterer.

-Two bartenders (each $20/hr), three servers (each $20 per hour) and four bussers (each $15/hr). Because my reception is 5 hours long, the caterer thinks all of these people need to be there for a total of about 7 hours.

As you can see, these are pretty different!!! If you add that last one up, the cost for service comes out to be around 33% of the estimated food cost for the night!! It is killing my budget, but the caterer insists that a wedding reception requires that many people. And the thing is, she doesn't seem to be taking a cut of it either - you pay her people directly at the end of the night!

Does anybody have a feel for how many servers/bussers you need for this sort of event? Any tips or things that stand out from this description?

Thanks!