bargainhunter Guest

Default Antique/Estate Rings - Best Buys!

This message goes out to anyone looking to buy an engagement or wedding ring. My fiance and I have spent countless hours searching in retail stores and internet sites to find the perfect ring for the perfect price. Not until we started looking at Antique/Estate jewelry did the prices fall in line with what we wanted.

I got a 3/4 carat round brilliant center stone with baguettes on either side in a 14 white karat mounting that was the exact style I was looking for. The price was even more incredible. Retail is well over $3000 (and that is with internet pricing) and the insurance appraisal came in over $4000. Our price was only $1500!

Yes, it seems to good to be true. However, after having it appraised and checked by another jeweler/appraiser, we were convinced that our perserverance paid off.

Now, some tips if you do consider buying at an antique/estate store: 1. Make sure you have some time after purchasing the ring to return it for a full refund (get it in writing). 2. Take the ring to an outside appraiser for your piece of mind and for your insurance policy documentation. 3. If you love the stone, but hate the setting, buy it anyway. Chances are you will get the ring for so much less that resetting it will still be cheaper. 4. Have the ring checked, especially prongs, for durability. 5. If you don't like the rings the shop owner has in, ask him/her when a good time to check back is or maybe they can call you if they get in what you are looking for. 6. These stores don't always have just "old" rings. Sometimes they get fairly new rings from estate sales. I saw a fair amount of princess cut stones which are newer cuts. 7. Ask about financing. They don't advertise it, but the stores we went to offered it. However, most of them will not go beyond four months - but these offers were interest free! Expect to pay a deposit, of course.

Believe me, we were going to settle for just over a half a carat, but now we have the size diamond we want and for still less money than a half carat diamond would cost! You can do it, too!

Default RE: Antique/Estate Rings - Best Buys!

Wow, great tips! Thanks for sharing that!

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
    BRIDAL BARGAINS * BRIDALGOWN.COM * CYBERBRIDE *

PRINCESS_KIM Guest

Where do you find antique/estate rings?

bargainhunter Guest

Hello, Princess Kim! I used the phone book and internet to find local listings of antique stores that specialized in wedding rings. For one store I called ahead to inquire as it was a bit of a drive and the other I just stopped in because it was close. Another friend simply found hers at a vintage clothing store that had a few rings. There are also a few internet sites/stores that specialize in antique jewelry. Type in antique jewelry/rings in a search utility. However, what I saw on the internet seemed to be priced a bit higher than in the stores.

Good luck and let me know if you are successful. Happy New Year!

dcbride Guest

I too found a steal with an antique diamond. My mom (my fiance asked her to help us find a ring) picked up an 3/4 carat antique diamond for $600. I hated the setting but the ring was a steal. I went with my Fi and we picked out a setting that I liked (white gold with 4 round channel set diamonds on each side, and platinum prongs for added security) and had the diamond reset. The jeweler we took it to informed us that the cut was an old European cut that was not done anymore, and due to when the cut was popular, whe was able to tell us that our diamond was 150 to 175 years old! Just think of the history of the ring!!! Plus, the jeweler told us that the diamond is I color, and VS1 (not bad for only $600!!!).

Total cost of ring, including diamond, new setting, and tax: $1100.

My friend found a 2+ carat ring at an estate shop for about $4000. Just try to buy a 2+ carat diamond for that a regular jewelry shop!!!

bargainhunter Guest

Awesome! And I would never have guessed that it is actually becoming quite popular for the stars to do the same. The recent InStyle Wedding Issue mentions a few stars that got their rings from antique/estate stores. My best to you and your fiance!