mamahill Guest

Default baby shower favor ideas?

I know I think about this kind of stuff WAY too much than I should (I wake up obsessing over it at 3 in the morning - neurotic, I know). Anyway, I need ideas for good (preferably inexpensive), creative favors. I'm not afraid to add a personal touch. I made the invitations (the ultimate compliment was when someone asked if it was a Martha Stewart pattern - no but thank you!), and now feel like I have to continue with the creativity.

Oh, and my friend is having a boy, if that matters. I'm considering designing my own candy wrappers for cookies & creme Hershey bars; baking cinnamon rolls, wrapping them in cellophane and adding a note along the lines of "from the bun in the oven" (but even that's a little too cutesy); or have pots with soil and baby's breath seeds. But if anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear them.

TIA!

newbelly2002 Guest

Default RE: baby shower favor ideas?

My sister ordered some great favors from an Internet site in Florida. "Oh Baby" (http://www.ohbabyshower.com). The centerpiece was a "cake" made of rolled up diapers (it looked like layers) with baby sock "roses" on top. It was adorable and quite useful once the baby did come!

For favors she ordered (although you could make them, they looked relativly easy) a dozen "roses." Each rose was made of a long pipestem with green garden tape on it and the "bud" was a rolled up baby sock in varying colors. Each guest could then choose to take two of her roses home or leave them for the mom-to-be. It went over wonderfully and I liked the fact that it was both original and practical. I left the "bouquet" up until Dante was born.

good luck!
    Paula

suzska Guest

You know, I can't remember what the favors were at my own shower. But I think it was the other baby shower that I went to where the favors were just candles in glass jars--either pink or blue--with netting and a ribbon around them. I suspect that the favors for my shower were similar, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were. LOL!

thorsmom Guest

For my baby show favor we had square soaps that had a baby powder scent that had a plastic duck in it. Once the soap was used up the duck could be used as a bathtub toy.

Sandy
    mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

blnony Guest

This isn't really a favor idea; but at my shower, the hostess, my best friend, had a polaroid camera, and took pictures individually of each guest and then that guest wrote a liitle note to the baby on it. I have them in DD's scrapbook.
    I didn't know they were doing it and at the end of the shower each person gave me there picture and made a little toast. It was so touching and really surprised me. Its one the things I remember most,and I love looking back on the pictures.
    Just a shower idea.
    Hope you have fun, and I like the "bun in the oven" idea. Very creative!

mamahill Guest

Thanks for all of the ideas so far -- I like to know what has actually "worked" at showers. I love the idea of the diaper cake and would do it, but my friend is going to use cloth diapers. So I didn't know if making a diaper cake would appear like I was saying, "You should use disposable diapers!" The last thing I would want to do is offend the guest of honor.

But thanks for all the ideas -- more things to consider (and take my mind off of my current stroller-envy obsession ;))

Chrissy K Guest

I just made the favors for two showers in the past month, cookies like they have at cookies by design. They were a big hit. I got the recipe from the internet. The first shower was small so I made bears, hearts and ducks. For the 2nd shower I made 70 so just stuck to the duck design, which was simple.
    I borrowed the idea from elaini's new york bakery which sells them for $4.50 per cookie, limit 24.
    Email me if you want the recipe or to see a pic.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You can make a diaper cake with cloth diapers - the kind that make great burp cloths! Every mom needs a supply of those. I wish that I had instructions, but that's how I've always seen it. I've never seen the disposable diaper version.

Lori
    mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009