mama2be Guest

Default Belly casts...has anyone done one, or witnessed one...curious!!!!

Just curious if any of you have done this or been privi to a friend/family member who has. There is one hung up at the birthing center that I will be going to, and I just noticed some ads for them in some of my magazines...

For any of you not knowing what I am talking about it is a molding of your tummy (and I think if you want boobies) in late pregancy. If it were all white and plastery looking it might be boring, but the one at the birthing center is painted really neat, like art work.

I'm just curious...I would think you could only hang it in your master bedroom or the powder room to your master bedroom since it is kinda personal.

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Belly casts...has anyone done one, or witnessed one...curious!!!!

Interesting timing on this question. I saw A Baby Story the other day and they did the same thing themselves at home. Then they painted it. It looked like kind of an interesting idea.

Tammy,
    Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

I saw a booth at the Baby Faire for the belly casts. They look interesting and I think it would be a unique keepsake. But have you ever made a mask using Plaster of Paris? It is ITCHY! Right now, my skin is so sensitive, the last thing I want is wet plaster slathered all over and be stuck waiting for it to dry. You do cover your skin with Vaseline (so the mold pops off easier), but it's still very uncomfortable. I think it just depends on your comfort level and if you'd like to have something like that to remind you of your pregnancy. And I think it would be GREAT to display it in the nursery!

JMarie
    EDD 2/23/03
    Aidan Christopher
    Jennifer
    Momma to Aidan 01/03
    New addition coming 10/08

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wanted to do one and never did, but I wish I had. I agree, it would be great in a nursery. Giving birth made me very respectful and proud of what my body could do. (It made me substantially less concerned with privacy, too!) If you do one, let us know how it goes. I think with baby #2 I will definitely want to do one.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02
    Rachel

Mama to Abby (5) and Ethan (2)

When you know better, you do better.
    -Maya Angelou

mama2be Guest

Oh I wish I had watched that baby story...someone suggested maybe doing it the evening of my shower with close friends (and I feel close enought to them to expose my belly...

I will keep you all posted in the event I do it...someone is selling some plaster to do it on ebay for about $34, but you have to wonder which kind to get etc...

JMarie, my skin is not sensitive at all, is that something I need to look forward too??? My back kills me that has been my major gripe...

If your skin isn't sensitive yet, I say go ahead and do the belly cast. I've always had sensitive skin, and now that it's stretching it's more sensitive than ever. I just try to keep lotion on it (three times a day) and that seems to help. From what I understand - at least what my friends all tell me - the skin gets most sensitive and dry during the third trimester. That it's in the middle of winter won't help, I'm sure. I've heard the Aveeno lotion with the dark blue cap works wonders for super dry sensitive skin, so I'll be trying that next. Let us know how it turns out!

JMarie
    EDD 2/23/03
    Aidan Christopher
    Jennifer
    Momma to Aidan 01/03
    New addition coming 10/08

I did it and it was a blast! My sister-in-law actually did it to me :-) We didn't buy an expensive kit...just some vasaline and the plaster strips (they sell them at AC Moore and others). It wasn't uncomfortable at all it turned out great! It's in the living room right now, but I haven't decided what it's ultimate resting place will be. I haven't painted it, but I'm thinking about letting my daughter (Lucy 8 weeks) paint it at some point...maybe a little each birthday or something?

Give it a shot!
    Suzette

mama2be Guest

GREAT IDEA...about her painting it...

I think I'm going to do it...it looks neat. I did a search on the web and some even have the fathers hands comoing around back and touching the belly too...I thought that neat!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!