Thread: New Mom Gift

himom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default New Mom Gift

Hello,

I've been lurking for a while too, mostly trying to figure out how to post! Hopefully this isn't the 3rd time this message posts, since it's the 3rd time I've tried to send it.

I do want to thank you all for being so generous with your advice to each other (and lurkers such as myself). I was able to find answers to almost all my questions just by reading the boards every few days. I even learned all about things I hadn't even started thinking about yet! You are all wonderful and this board is a blessing, so thank you!

I do, however, have a specific question I was hoping for some help with. Anyone have any ideas on a good gift for a new mom? Both baby-related and not baby-related ideas would be more than welcome. This particular Mommy has a 4 week old and could really use some cheering up. The kind of thing I'm looking for is something you wouldn't necessarily go get for yourself but someone experienced got it for you and it turned out to be a godsend. I'm not experienced yet, so I don't know!

(I know a good thing to do is go and help, but I'm an ocean away and due 4 weeks from today...)

Thanks!
    Jodi
    EDD 2/3/03

joodyjr Guest

Default RE: New Mom Gift

Hmmm... If she's having fussy baby troubles I would recommend two books: "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp and "Secrets of The Baby Whisperer" by Tracy Hogg. Both can be found at Amazon.com

Perhaps an online gift certificate, or gift certificate to a favorite store that can be used online if she doesn't mind shopping online. The last thing I wanted to do after my kids were born was drag them out to a crowded mall.

What about a gift basket filled with bath stuff.. bubbles, those scrunchie things to wash with, good smelling stuff...etc.

If she's not nursing, fill it with goodies, but healthy ones. Maybe only 1 chocolate bar. Fresh fruit, bottled water.

A really good thing would be to take her a casserole or two that can be frozen. Unless she loves to cook, she's probably not real interested in whipping up a gourmet meal now.

Maybe a gift basket full of baby stuff.. Johnson & Johnson bath wash, shampoo, soft towel, warm blanket.

Lands End makes this wonderfully soft fleece blanket sleeper.. bunny belly sleeper. It's heavenly soft. My DD is snoozing away in her pink one right now. It's got to be nice wearing it, since it's really nice holding her in it!

If she's gotten back to prepregnancy weight, maybe a new sweater or if she's a jeans person, maybe get her a new pair of her favorite jeans. Most women can't wait to get back into regular clothes after wearing maternity for so long.. (for me it's about 7 months!).

If she's nursing and doesn't already have one.. a Boppy or My Brest Friend nursing pillow (I recommend Brest Friend).

Even if she's not nursing and doesn't have one.. Boppy. It has a myriad of uses! Support baby when learning to sit up, propped up on during tummy time, For mom to use if she likes to read in bed, makes a good "desk".

Maybe a couple of friends could chip in and hire a cleaning service for a one time cleaning. Or the friends could save the money and do it themselves.

If she likes cookies, or baked goods, why not go over and spend the day baking FOR HER! That way you can spend some time, she gets to enjoy cookies or whatever and doesn't have to do the work. I'd love for my best friend to come over and bake me a couple dozen cookies!!

If she's using disposable, how about buying a couple packages in larger sizes of the brand she likes.

If she's got errands, run them for her.. trip to the bank, dry cleaners, grocery store.. that would be my dream gift.. someone going to the grocery store and bringing them into the house and putting them all away!!!

Do you sew.. make the baby a quilt. I'm still trying to get the one done for my kids.

Make her a fancy dinner if you enjoy cooking. Have her DH or someone close to her come and care for the baby and fix a dinner for a girls night IN! Rent her favorite movie, etc.

I am a homebody so I tend to think along those lines. I also nurse so leaving my daughter just isn't something that appeals to me. I'm trying to think of things that I would want as a new mom. At this point, with a toddler and newborn, the only thing that I want is sleep! LOL and a million dollars.

joodyjr Guest

So.. I totally missed the part about being an ocean away and 8 months pregnant. Just ignore the suggestions that won't work, or get ahold of someone close to her to do them!

akc Guest

Hi -

Don't know if you found something, but I recommended this site for baby-related things - www.peekaboocottage.com - Has the most adorable baby things that are customized and inexpensive. I have burb cloths, onesies, brag books, etc. and love them all. One thing I really like is the Shhh...Baby is sleeping doorknob pillow. They'll customize it with the baby's name. BUT, I really secretly wanted one for Maeve (my daughter) and one for me, that said,..."Shhh...Mommy is sleeping!" Wouldn't that be fun?!

On the pampering side - I'm not sure how much you want to spend. But, one of the best gifts we received was a gift certificate for 2 meals with a personal chef. It was actually 2 meals for 4 which became 4 meals for my husband and I. You can look online at http://www.personalchef.com to see if there are any in her area. It was wonderful - such a treat to have a nice meal and not worry about it! It's not dirt cheap though - depends on the area and the chef!

Other idea I had was that there are quite a few massage therapists or even manicure/pedicure places that will come to the person. I would try to investicate that b/c there's nothing like staying home in your pj's and getting a massage or your nails done! :)

Good luck!

Alexa

sweetbasil Guest

Alexa's post reminds me of a product I found right after DS was born...it's called One Minute Manicure, made in Houston by a company called Mommy's Magic, and it's awesome for ANY woman. You might check out a site like this one if you'd like to buy it from home http://www.cachebeauty.com/oneminutemanicure.htm

They also sell replenishing oil- that's the first part to run out. I've gotten them for my friends after giving birth, my mom and MIL for Mother's Day, etc., and everyone loves it. The jars are a little more expensive than you might want to just spend on yourself... until you try it for yourself! :)

Take care!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Gift Certificates for Restaurants which have take-out and/or cleaning service!!

Mommy to Jonah
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .