Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    StaceyKim Guest

Default HELP! Were you Past Due Date and used Pitocin to induce labor??

I am now a week late........uggggggggggg and next week (if baby doesn't come on its own before that)I will be induced with Pitocin. Anyone out there with POSITIVE experiences after being induced??

smomom Guest

Default RE: HELP! Were you Past Due Date and used Pitocin to induce labor??

I had to be induced with Pitocin. My water broke after irregular contrations that never became regular on their own. It's my understanding the Pitocin hits harder and quicker if your water has broke (broken?). I got pretty intense contractions that were 2 minutes apart within minutes of the first drip of pitocin. But never fear - the man with the epidural was near. I would definitely recommend an epidural if you are being induced. You may not have the luxury of "easing into the contractions" with the Pitocin. My sister-in-law was also induced (she was well past her due date) and she had a really smooth labor and delivery. Her contractions started light and gradually intensified. She also received an epidural.

In the end, when that bundle of joy finally appears the discomfort of the contractions will long forgotten. You'll be fine. Who knows - maybe nature will takes its course early. I was originally scheduled for induction 4 days after DS arrived. I still had to have the Pitocin - but got to meet my boy a few days earlier than I expected.

Congratulations, good luck, and keep us posted!

mharling Guest

My water broke, but I wasn't having contractions. I was also only/maybe one cm dilated when my water broke and the baby hadn't dropped completely. Talk about starting from ground zero!!

I started on pitocin and began having short (approx 20-30 seconds), but intense contractions about 2 minutes apart. As soon as the nurse said I was being started on pitocin, she said I would very, very likely want the epidural (I went in open-minded, er, naive, about getting one). It was 9 hours from pitocin to delivery. Painful until the epidural? Yes. But did I have a positive experience? Absolutely!!

Mary
    Mommy to Lane 4/6/03

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had something similar to Mary, only the baby had dropped. Even though my water broke, it was a slow leak and still was in a big pool. Consequently, I was started on pitocin and didn't feel anything for about 6 hours until they broke the pool in a big gush. Then I felt everything and cried until they gave me an epidural. But I'm a big, fat wimp and always knew that I would have an epidural, so the time that I was experiencing contractions wasn't really that bad. Oh, and I have no idea how far apart or how long they really were because they could not find them on the monitor throughout the labor process.

Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Absolutely. I was induced one week after my due date. I would definitely recommend that you get the epidural. Pitocin induced contractions are SOOOOO much worse (or so I've heard) than natural ones. Quite honestly, I slept through most of my labor.

If you have any more questions or want to talk, email me.
    [email protected]

Candy
    Mommy to Matt, 5/22/02
    Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

StaceyKim Guest

Thanks for the quick responses! I am definitely planning to have an epidural!!!:7
    It's the only way to go in my opinion. I hope to be able to sleep through my labor too.
    Were you at all dilated when you were induced?

I was 5 days overdue with DD and was 3 cm dilated when I was put on pitocin to induce labor. The funny thing is that the day I was scheduled for an induction, I actually had started some minor contractions. But the doc still put me on the pit. And yes, very positive experience! :) Good luck!

...Maureen

Mom to
    Kathleen 3/22/01
    Ellen EDD 6/12/03

Not even one freaking cm. I was sooooooo ready to get DS out, but wasn't dialated at all. Very po'd when ob told me that at the appt. He decided it was definitely time to get the baby out before I took drastic measures myself. I think the fact that I told him I wasn't going home without a baby helped a little too! :)

Candy
    Mommy to Matt, 5/22/02
    Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

brubeck Guest

I was induced at 38 weeks because I had pre-eclampsia. It was a terrific experience. They broke my water for me ast 6 am then started the pitocin drip. At first it wasn't too bad but after 2 hours I asked for the epidural. Then I slept for about 90 minutes because the pain was completely gone! At 10:45 am they started me pushing and the baby had arrived by 11:06 am. This was my first baby. I have to say I was shocked at how fast and (relatively) easy the whole thing was. I don't remember the pain so much as the exhaustion of pushing.

I had no problems at all with the pitocin. I did have other problems as a result of the pre-eclampsia, but the induction was great!

gravymommy3 Guest

I had two inductions (both for gestational diabetes) with Pitocin. Both were about 1 week before my due dates. Both were intense, pain-wise. The first I got the epidural 30 mins after they broke my water (that's when it started to hurt) and life was good. The second they got me the epidural 20 mins before my son arrived. Not good, but I went on to have a third, so it could not have been that bad, right?

Overall, both were very positive experiences (I mean, I did not have the joy of having a 10 lb. baby, so I was extremely happy!)

Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast