Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    kclm Guest

Default RE: HELP! Were you Past Due Date and used Pitocin to induce labor??

I was induced with Pitocin when DS was a week and a half late. I had the epidural as soon as it was possible, and before that they gave me Nubain, another painkiller. Because of the prompt painkillers, I had a positive experience with very little labor pain. Labor was 10 1/2 hours.

Best of luck!

Karen
    Tad, 11/21/02

Not even one freaking cm. I was sooooooo ready to get DS out, but wasn't dialated at all. Very po'd when ob told me that at the appt. He decided it was definitely time to get the baby out before I took drastic measures myself. I think the fact that I told him I wasn't going home without a baby helped a little too! :)

Candy
    Mommy to Matt, 5/22/02
    Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

sweetbasil Guest

Hey, Stacey~
    So sorry you're a week late...I was 2 weeks overdue w/DS #1 and was induced/had my water broken at 42 wks. I was like 1/2 or 1 cm. dilated (don't know if that even counted for anything!), and never (even with Pitocin) dilated past a 5. They started the Pitocin at 7am, and by 2pm, I was really ready for pain meds. By 4pm I was dilated enough to get an epidural, and that was nice. Turns out DS had his little leg all caught in the umbilical cord- they'd had indications of some sort of distress, but didn't know what the cord was wrapped around--- anyway, he couldn't have dropped the way he was tangled up, and that's why I didn't really progress on my own. I was glad I'd gone w/the epidural, b/c I was able to be awake when they wheeled me in at 8:30pm for a c-section (instead of having to go under general anesthesia).

HTH, and best wishes to you!

memedee Guest

Good LUCK Stacey:)
    I hope you have a very easy labor and an easy and fast delivery.
    Hope it happens TODAY
    Sending you easy and fast labor vibes right now and happy healthy baby stars too*******************************************

Stacey:

I wasn't late, but my water broke and I was given Pitocin to make my contractions stronger. I had a great labor and delivery experience though and my labor was only about 11 hours. My suggestion is to get the epidural b/c pitocin contractions are so strong and they come together pretty closely. It was just hard for me to catch my breath in between the contractions. I was also told by many girlfriends prior to my labor to get the epidural if you are going to be adminstered with Pitocin. One of my close friends also was induced with Pitocin and she only labored for 12 hours. She hard labored for about 4 hours.

Good luck. HTH.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
    Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

spu Guest

Hi Stacey,

I was induced with my twin babies using pitocin. It wasn't nearly as bad as all the stories out there... in fact, it was quite gradual I must say. It took a good 5 or 6 hours before I felt anything worthy of considering an epidural. My induction was scheduled and I was already 4 cm when I went in. They broke my water about 5 hours after the induction started. The epidural helped alot as the day progressed - I got it about 6.5 hours after the start of the induction. They also do these things called "bolsters" (sp?) which is a quick shot of the epidural meds - they can do them from time to time to alleviate any additional pain. I had a few of those and they're wonderful!

As it turns out, after 15 hours of labor, charlotte still didn't want to come down the pipe so we opted for plan b - a C section! I was so relieved - even if I could get her out, I didn't think I'd have the strength to get Else out. The C was fine - it actually felt really really good when all their hands were in my belly - it was almost like a massage!

Good luck! and don't worry!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
    charlotte & else

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second everything everyone else has said -- being induced/pit is not something anyone would run out and do for no reason, but to get to meet your precious baby, we'd all do it again in a heartbeat!!

The advice on the epidurals was great. I don't consider myself a wimp, but feel I waited WAY to long to get one. The nurses were all surprised I waited at all. They all said (and the doc agreed) that if you're already on pit, you can get an epidural at any time (no need to wait until a certain number of cm, etc.) since they can always just turn the pit up a bit more if labor stalls.

My story, in a nutshell: 3 days late, BP up a bit, little protein in urine. Less than 1 cm dilated. Doc decides to induce. Go in on Sunday night, get cervix gel. Pit starts Monday morning after they break my water, get epidural about 6 hours later. Finally get to 10 cm after 21 hours on pit. 3 contractions, 12 pushes (20 minutes) later I had a 10 lb 9 oz 24" baby boy.

It was worth it!!

Sarah
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2