Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    aconsiglio Guest

Default Flying Without A Carseat: Anyone For It?

I'm flying with my 10-month-old son soon, alone, and after lots of reasearch, I bought him a seat. Since then, friends, coworkers--you name it--all piped up, wondering why in the world I would do such a costly, inconvenient, needlessly overprotective thing.

So I ask you. Should I check the seat and save myself the grief of schlepping it through the airport and onto two Canada Air Regional Jets? Or deal with the inconvenience and chalk it up to peace of mind?

For all the people that tell you not to bother, I can't find many rationales in print. Are all these people flying without seats just cheap and irresponsible? Or are the car-seaters just guilt-ridden, purchase-hungry dupes of the FAA?

And, if I do play the odds and skip the seat, what happens if something happens? How could I live with myself knowing I put my son in danger because his safety wasn't worth the inconvenience?

Please help. I'm not being judgemental. I'm truly struggling with this. And I'd appreciate your perspective.

Thanks,

a

KathyO Guest

Default RE: Flying Without A Carseat: Anyone For It?

Both DH and I come out of aviation families, and so it was automatic that we would no sooner fly without proper protection for our daughter than we would drive without her belted in like us. I don't think of us as guilt-ridden at all, or dupes of anyone. If we can't afford seats for all of us then we don't go.

The other factor that clinched it for me was reading, and watching, coverage of the famous Sioux City crash, which an amazing number of people walked away from. The narrator of the written account was a passenger, and when it was apparent that the plane was going down, he and his seat-mates did their best to arrange a protective "shell" of cushions for the toddler in their row, who did not have a seat. When the plane came to a stop, the child was simply gone, ripped away in the g-forces, and did not survive. The parents of several children who died in that, and other crashes, are campaigning to enact a law that would require a seat, and restraint system, for every passenger, no matter what their age.

We've flown with the seat, and found that staff were very accommodating with helping us get the seat on the plane and secured, and the child in it. (One confided that unbelted small children are referred to in the industry as "projectiles".) Plus there was the convenience of having the space and luggage allowance afforded by the seat, and its familiarity made it much easier for DD to settle in and even sleep on the flight. With you flying alone with your son, I promise you will be thankful for that aspect alone. (And with Air Canada playing the games they currently are with their flights, it is far less likely that you can count on a spare "free" seat than on some other airlines.)

I remember my father taking flak like this from friends and co-workers when he paid extra to have seat belts installed in his cars. Don't let it sway you if this is the right thing for you.

Cheers,

KathyO

blnony Guest

We've flown with Audrey several times, and even on short non-stop flights, I still buy a seat for her. It will save your sanity. Its much easier on you and everyone else around you when you travel with a baby to be as organized as possible. When you have a seat for your child, not only is it much safer for your child, but they are happier and able to relax and enjoy air travel much more. You have more space for the both of you and that in return saves you a lot of headaches.
    It actually bothers me when people fly with babies and just "hold them." The child usually doesn't want to be held during an entire flight (and I don't blame them, I wouldn't want to sit on someone elses' lap for hours on a plane,) and I don't think its safe, IMO. If everyone else on a plane needs to be in a seat with seatbelt on, why shouldn't a child be in a seat with a seatbelt on?
    If you've already bought a seat for you babe, why not use it and see how it goes?
    Good luck on your trip-

COElizabeth Guest

I confess that I sometimes take my son out of the seat and have even done so during takeoff and landing because he was crying. But I always buy a seat, and I do like knowing that I have a secure option for him if the flight turns out to be turbulent. I know a plane can encounter unexpected turbulence at any time, and I try to keep us both belted in as much as possible, but I feel fairly comfortable taking him out during the main part of a smooth flight. I would hate to be in the situation of being on a particularly rough flight where the captain announced there was no altitude with smooth cruising and not having the car seat available (let alone even more dangerous scenarios like a landing without the landing gear down).

Also, I really just can't imagine holding a big baby the entire time on a long flight. It would be so hard to drink a cup of water, let alone eat a meal. Sometimes babies accept confinement in the seat better than in the parent's arms, I think.

But believe me, I have felt foolish plenty of times when I paid for a seat DS hardly used, and there were tons of empty seats on the plane anyway! Nowadays I really like to see a full flight because I feel better about having paid for the seat!

Elizabeth
    Mom to James
    9-20-02

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I completely agree with everyone else. I always buy a seat for my DD. I admit that when she was a tiny infant, a couple times I did not buy a seat. But once on a flight I took about a year ago on a large modern jet from Washington DC to Paris, I was literally knocked off my feet into my seat by unexpected turbulence. And that was considered mild turbulence. Fortunately I DID buy a seat for DD for that flight and she was happily belted into her seat and slept through the whole thing. I will ALWAYS buy her a seat after that. But certainly, I would not consider flying on a small regional jet without a carseat. They are extremely prone to turbulence and bumpy rides.

And besides the safety issues, I think it is much MORE convenient to have a carseat. You have space for your child. You can eat or drink in peace. They are often happier with their own space. And since so many babies are used to the "rule" that once they are strapped into their carseats, they stay in no matter what, it often makes for an easier flight.

And think about what would happen if you carseat, checked as baggage, got misplaced?

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

memedee Guest

Those people who are trying to convince you not to buy a seat are trying to justify their behavior in saving a buck at their childrens expense.
    I have been in turbulence so severe that a passenger not belted in got a concussion.
    True these are not the usual scenario but it is like buying health insurance .Wouldnt you like to pay for health insurance your whole life and then be lucky enough to never need it?
    You can tell those advice givers that it is worth the money to you to be assured that you did as much as you could to keep your child safe.
    It is like buying health insurance.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Here's a simple explanation that your friends and co-workers can understand:

During take-off and landing, everything on the plane is required to be stowed or fastened down, even the coffee pots - except lap babies. Wouldn't you want your baby to be as safe as or safer than the coffee pot?

We always buy a seat for Colin, also, and would not fly any other way - you are NOT overprotective, IMO you are smart!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

nigele is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We flew to England with DS when he was five months and had the airline hold the bassinet for us. As it turned out, the "bassinet" was a cardboard box (no kidding) and the stewardess told me I could use it either on the empty seat next to me or on the floor. No way was I going to do this! I ended up holding him the entire time, there and back and would not do this ever again! I was not comfortable in the first place and wanted a seat and car seat for my baby buy DH and family insisted it was a waste of money and they had a car seat waiting for us on the other end. Well, we have booked a seat for him for our next int'l flight and DH agrees that it is absolutely necessary, even at the cost of $800 for his ticket.

KathyO Guest

Ooh, I like that! A great summary!

KathyO

I will never fly without purchasing a seat for my baby. What is the price of her life? $200? $500?

I won't take a chance that there will be an empty seat for her. Most of the flights I have taken lately have been full.

I would never be able to live with myself if I did not buy her a seat and something happened. It's just not worth the chance to me. This is the same reason I will no longer allow my older son to fly alone to grandma's since September 11 happened. I simply could not live with myself if something happened.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
    Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast