Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mharling Guest

Default RE: Flying Without A Carseat: Anyone For It?

You have received some great responses, but just wanted to throw this in. Don't know if you (or any of your 'doubters') have ever flown on a regional jet before, but those seats are TINY and there is very little leg room!!! I've been on them many times and it's difficult, if not impossible, for 2 adults sitting next to each other to get even remotely comfortable. I couldn't imagine throwing a baby into that mix.

Mary
    Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
    http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b33928e40550

You can look at my complete reply for "flying with a baby?" an older message. On a big jet I would chance it. I employ several strategies so I wind up with a seat. On a regional jet I wouldn't.
    Here is my take on it.
    I am cheap.
    Buying an extra seat is like gambling or insurance.
    If you want to be 100% safe - buy a seat.
    If you are going to play the odds,stack them in your favor.

Flying a regional jet without a carseat is like standing next to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis in a rain storm. The chances of being struck by lightening are extemely high. The risk is too great. (I have been on a reg. jet during a free fall experience- I thought we were going to die.)

Flying a big jet on an off peak time and date is like standing next to the Arch on a sunny day. You could get struck by lightening but it is very unlikely.

Millions of people fly every day without a mishap so much so the FFA doesn't require a seat for your child.

Only you can calculate the risk vs money for your family.

Karin
    Katie 10/24/02
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

I just wanted to chime in to say that I think it is great that you bought a seat. We recently flew from Ohio to Arizona and were so thankful that we had bought a seat for ds - not just for safety reasons, but for convenience. I think it would have been a nightmare to hold ds on my lap - and there is no way he would have slept on my lap. (He actually slept quite a bit in his carseat.) We installed the carseat rear-facing on all legs of the trip (had to change planes in both directions), and it was really great to have ds facing me - it was quite easy to feed him snacks/drinks during takeoff and landing.

I do know what you mean about people thinking you are silly to buy a seat - of all of the people I know personally with babies, only 1 other person has bought her son a seat for a plane trip - her dh is a certified CPS tech, which might have something to do with it! :)

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not only do my friends think I crazy for buying a seat, but usually the airline does, too. At first they brush off my request for a seat for ds, then they try to talk me out of it!

I agree about it being a convenience. Nicholas knows when he is strapped into his carseat, he has to stay still (but he usually does a little complaining!). If I had to put him on my lap, I think the whole plane would be annoyed with me as he would be into everything!

Susan
    WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
    Susan
    Mom to 3 boys

JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Off the subject, Karin are you from St. Louis??? I am a west county gal and just thought maybe you were because of your car seat explanation.:)

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we had a seat for dd the entire trip, and were glad for it because of the space which we needed. we belted the car seat in beside up (window seat) but here's the problem. she SCREAMED pretty much the entire time. so i ended up holding her almost the entire time. now reading this i feel like such a bad mother, but my thoughts at the time were on trying to keep her from screaming for hours and hours. we had two 1+ hour and one 6 hour flight (times two)

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

Shirale Guest

We have flown a bunch of times with Amira and even when she was an infant (after one first trip without getting her a seat) we have bought her a seat. First, for saftey reasons, aand second for sanity reasons! Esp with a n older baby that will not happily stay in your arms! We are flying NJ to LA in a couple of weeks, G-d willing, and bought her a seat without even questioning it.

I am in St. Louis, South City to be exact. Are you the person whose husband works for May Co.?

Karin
    Katie 10/24/02
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2