Default Any journalists in the house?

I have been given an opportunity to submit an education piece (less fancy than it sounds...keep reading) for a column in a local paper. This was a crazy idea I had when trying to come up with some options for me to continue to stay at home. I figured as a National Board Certified Teacher with a M.Ed in educational leadership and experience teaching all grades K-5...I might know a thing or two about a thing or two... Apparently, the editor thinks so too. Anyway, I am not a journalist, and now that I've been given a green light, I'm a bit nervous. I think the editor is looking for a "Dear Abby" type column for education...kinda for those parents who might be afraid to ask questions of their child's teacher or who might need another professional opinion in regard to their child's education... The editor may also be looking for more of an article, I'm not sure of the details yet. I guess it's not really "journalism" and hope not to offend any true journalists with my little column, but any pointers would be appreciated. Also, if you have any "questions" that I could use for the piece... Oh, and one more thing, does anyone know what one would get paid for something like this? We never really discussed it, but I'd like to be in the ballpark when we do.

TIA!

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    5/1/03

parkersmama Guest

Default RE: Any journalists in the house?

I don't know the answers to any of your questions but I wanted to give you a pat on the back for going for it! It sounds neat and like fun for you!

A few questions you could answer: What are the best techniques to use to help my 1st grader do his homework? What are the best topics for a parent-teacher meeting? How do I prepare for a parent-teacher meeting? What are some good ways to motivate young elementary kids to do their best at school? As parents, what are the best ways to partner with our child's school for a better education?

All right...those were off the top of my head...can you tell I have a first grader?! I love our teacher and school but I'm always looking for ways to improve the relationship with them for the benefit of my child.

Best of luck!!